Pages

Friday, March 30, 2018

Good for you!

Yesterday and today I'm attending a literacy conference in downtown Salt Lake City.

I got a name tag with my super phonetic name that should be really easy to spell (especially for people that specialize in...literacy) but constantly trips people up, spelled wrong.  I texted a picture to my people.


Emma answered with this:


Emma giving me my comeuppance:  story of my life.

The conference actually started Wednesday night I guess (where is Emma to correct my first sentence of this post?) and while I was waiting for the session to start I was reading my book because you have to bring a book, that is just personal safety.

A man asked me what I was reading (it was a Newbery) and we chatted a little and I told him about my Read All The Newberys goal and he told me that he's on the committee to select the 2019 Newbery.

That is when I thought:  the people at this conference?  These people get me.

I've loved loved loved everything so far.  I took notes as fast as my little hand would go.  It makes me enthusiastic and excited about the day when I will be a teacher.

In every session, the instructors have us turn to our neighbors often (they're teachers after all) and discuss.  Without exception, when I had the little get-to-know-you chat with each of the other people, they told me where they are teaching school and I told them I am working toward relicensure, they all said (in a slightly patronizing way), "Good for you!"

Like it was about time I did something with my life?  I don't know.  I am not really bothered by it though, because you know what?  It is good for me!  I decided when I was in first grade and thought my teacher Mrs. Jund was the be all end all that I wanted to be a teacher.  I have not looked back.

I don't regret one second of the time I wasn't a teacher in favor of being a mom.  Not even the seconds that were pure torture (here's looking at you grocery shopping with screaming babies).  But I am excited for the next chapter too.

Good for me, because I am going to love this.

2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

You are going to love it. In fact you are loving it already--the volunteering and conference. So nice that you can do something you love so much. And so nice you could be a full time mother all those years. It was worth it. Your mom

Olivia Cobian said...

Good for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails