Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Bearing mention

1.  The weather



But then about an hour later the sky was blue and the snow was melting fast.

Life in the Intermountain West.

2.  Mark

He broke his texting silence yesterday by texting us that he had "the actual worst PE sub."  He was still grousing about it after school.  Her big crime?  She reneged on a promise that they would play dodge ball (one of Mark's favorite things in the world).  They lifted weights for awhile then they were supposed to go to the other gym for dodge ball but instead she left for a few minutes and came back with another teacher who started a video for them.

"The video was The 100 Best NFL Players.  I'm sure it's a fine movie, but..."

"You wanted to play dodge ball?"

"Exactly."

(To me watching a video, even one about the 100 Best NFL players would feel like a stay of execution compared to dodge ball but I'm not Mark.)

Apparently all the boys let their but we thought we were going to play dodge ball feelings known.  At the end of the class, the sub told them they were "the worst class ever" and that thanks to them, she was having a "craptastic" day.

Mark said, "I didn't say anything, but I was thinking, well lady, you're the worst sub ever."

Sometimes I think Mark is the most curmudgeonly 15 year old boy alive.

3.  The first graders.

Yesterday I was working with three little girls who, for the life of them, can't keep d, b, p, and q straight.  I don't blame them.  They look alike.

We were getting settled at our table out in the hall and one of them walked up close to me.

"Does chicken count as gummy stuff you can't eat?"

"Um..."

"I have a spacer, see?"  She opened her mouth wide and we all took a look because what else were we going to do?  "And I can't eat gummy bears and stuff like that and I am wondering if chicken nuggets count."

She unclenched her fist where she was holding a very mauled and compressed chicken nugget that had been in her hand for an indeterminate period of time.  I in no way thought she should eat it, but I had to honestly tell her that it was probably fine with the spacer.  "Just go wash your hands," I said.

While we were working, I saw a little boy in a way too big sweatshirt, from a different first grade class, talking to his teacher (a teacher who is awesome, by the way).  Her class was heading out to the computer lab. She had the little boy stand at the doorway and she said, "He is moving, today is his last day.  On your way out the door, I want you to give him a high five."  I looked at the little boy with slumping shoulders and felt sad for him.  Moving is hard and when you're moving your family a month and a half before the school year is over, it is because you don't have a choice.

My little charges were doing a worksheet, coloring each cupcake a different color depending on whether it had a d, b, p, or q on it, so I watched the other first grade class.  Some of them gave an enthusiastic high five.  Some gave a sad but friendly smile and said they'd miss him.  A few of them stopped to give him a hug.

I don't know, but it seemed like by the time the last student had passed, he was standing a little taller.

I just hope that the next class is as kind.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails