Pages

Monday, November 9, 2020

Weekend

I have felt encouraged this weekend about the state of things in our country.  I know that we are "deeply divided" as every news article states over and over and over.  I can see that.  At the same time, I can see the way nearly everyone I know who is a Trump supporter (and I know a lot) has graciously moved on.  That is what I love about America.  

The person I wanted to win, did.  I am fairly conservative but I can't stomach Trump.  He's awful.  The people I know and love--my inner circle--made a choice.  Vote for Trump because you can't vote for someone who is in favor of abortion or vote for Biden because you can't vote for someone who is as morally corrupt and divisive as Trump.

I understand both viewpoints.

I'm always wary of people who "can't imagine" who would vote for someone else.  Really?  Because I think I have a pretty average imagination and I can do it.  It takes listening.  Sometimes you have to wade through a lot of off putting vitriol but it is still good to listen.  It takes sitting humbly for a minute and thinking about where someone is coming from and what life experiences would bring them to that point.  

It's possible.

Kamala Harris wouldn't be my first pick ideologically to lead our country, but it does matter to me that we have a woman elected as vice president.  It matters.  I think it matters to me mostly for Emma.  And then I think of my granddaughters.  They will be born into a world where it is a given that women can hold that office.  Even if you have no aspirations to do so yourself, it matters.  I loved this from Kamala Harris Saturday night:


Our weekend was not just about politics though.  We did all the Saturday chores and errands, we watched a movie and ate cheddar cheese so sharp it was crumbly on Biscoff crackers.  We moved the last of the deck furniture.

Last week we had highs in the 70s and my students would come in hot and sweaty from recess.

Sunday we woke up to snow.

It happened abruptly and jarred my thinking that I need to get myself in gear with Christmas plans.  I've done a few preliminary things.  Before I was working, I'd have all my ducks in a row for Christmas in October.  

Now I can't even find all my ducks.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails