Pages

Monday, March 21, 2022

Weekend

Thursday after work, Adam and I drove to Nevada.  We stayed with my parents, which is always nice.  Marianne was being a chaperone at FFA state, but Olivia came over for a brief visit.  

Friday morning, Adam and I headed to Elko to go to a flooring showroom to look at...you guessed it...more flooring samples.  

We took the samples with us, needing to return them.  Taking another trip to Elko in the same day wasn't too exciting of a proposition, but like I told Adam, gas is cheap....

We got my dad to come with us for advice and we went to our house (which still feels weird to even say) and looked at the samples.  Adam and my dad disagreed with me about kitchen flooring but then my mom and Olivia came and Olivia agreed with me, my mom agreed with the men, then came over to my side.  Then I started thinking the one I'd fought for wasn't quite right.

We measured some things and went back to my parents' for lunch.  After we ate, my dad agreed to draw the bathroom renovation for us.  He kept asking me dimensions for different things (that I thought I'd measured) but I either hadn't measured parts or hadn't written them down or what I had didn't make sense.

If you want something measured, call me.

We decided to stop by the house before going to Elko (again) so we could get better measurements.  This time for real.

We went out to our car to find a flat tire.  My dad filled it with air and told us we'd better scrap the measurement plan and just get to Elko before the tire stores closed.

So we did.

Nearing Elko, the car started to wobble.  I called Enoch (who lives in Elko) for advice and mostly moral support.  He told me where Les Schwab tires was (since I was on my phone and Adam was driving).  We made it!

We got the tired repaired and the entire time we sat in the tire store and tried to reconstruct the bathroom measurements.  

Adam said, "We need to stop and measure again."

So we did and the entire thing was a very long day.

Here's what I know for sure though:  I love doing this with Adam.  Even though we aren't very good at lots of it (measuring...), it is fun to dream and scheme.  There's no one I'd rather go on the adventure with. Also, I love that house.  I love that place on earth.  We watched two huge hawks circle above us, landing in the tops of the tall trees, and it was so quiet and peaceful their flapping wings seemed loud.  Echoes of my childhood are everywhere I look and I feel connected to my grandparents just being there.  Besides, you can't beat the neighbors. 

Saturday we picked up Emma and went to Kaysville for Adam's beloved aunt Suzy's graveside memorial service.  Whenever I'm around Adam's cousins I am impressed with them.  Like he said, he hit the cousin jackpot.  They are all kind and welcoming to me and always have been.  His cousin Pam led the way in the service and she had several people, including Adam, share memories.  He said that he feels at such times he is representing his dad and he hopes he is doing it well enough.

He is.

I know Adam's dad is proud of him and grateful for the good life he tries to live.  I'm grateful for Adam's good parents who raised that guy!

I was deeply inspired by the words that were said about Suzy.  It leaked out all of our eyes.  Hearing everyone talk about her warmth and love and support and generosity painted a picture of a very good woman who touched so many lives.  All her nieces and nephews seemed to think they were her favorites.  

Since she lived in Atlanta, I only met Suzy a handful of times, but I felt her love.  


She called me darlin' and acted like I was a delight to be around.  What a blessing she was to everyone.  I love thinking about her reunion with her brothers in heaven.  She called Linn "Rags" and I'm sure she is still doing that.

Mostly this weekend was about waiting for our grandchild.  As I type this, Anna is in the hospital and getting close.  It has been a long and slow labor and my heart has been in California.  I checked my phone all night.  

I already loved Anna a lot, but thinking about her and praying for her and empathizing with her during this has only increased my love exponentially.  It is hard to be far away from them, but they have each other and that is pretty good company.



1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I don't know why this post makes me cry--I guess it's good connections with good people. And, I'm so glad we will be neighbors!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails