Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2023

Evaluation

Happily I don't need to be evaluated every year now, but it is still unsettling.  Especially now that we have another new principal, I wasn't sure how it would go.  Every principal looks for something else.

I have yet to meet with him and hear his comments (the unsettling part), but yesterday I had a lesson evaluated.

It went OK.  It felt like everything was going along pretty well, in fact.  Then I noticed that one of my students (one whose behavior only reflects the utter chaos he lives in) was sound asleep.  It was still the 8:00 hour and it was clear that he was out.  

In the absence of any other better ideas, I just carried on with my lesson.  

When my allotted time was up, Matt got up to leave.  He stopped by to get the sleeper, who was supposed to be on his way to special ed.  The sleeper wouldn't budge.  Matt said, "You can either go to special ed. or come to the office.

He groggily said, "Can I lay down at the office?"

Matt said yes and he just let him sleep.  Poor little guy.  And also, he was perfectly rotten all afternoon.

Sigh.

Also, if you feel like you're not quite on top of things, just remember that time that I had a teacher evaluation and a student fell asleep and I didn't notice right away.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

My first year teaching I had an unannounced evaluation with my principal. It was the last period of the day and I had six seniors that I was pretty casual and informal with. I let them eat and drink in class, and that day one student spilled a huge fountain drink all over the place. I think having a student fall asleep would have been preferable. You're doing great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails