Pages

Monday, October 23, 2023

Weekend

Friday we spent a lovely day together.  We read stories and took a walk and played at the playground and went to our hotel to swim (not me).  QE inherited the Davis genes that make water key to happiness.  She was so cold but didn't want to get out.  She got out briefly and I wrapped her in towels but then she wanted right back in.  Braeden would throw her in the air and she would squeal in delight or she would hang onto Adam's arm and say, "Kick, kick, kick" and kick her little legs for all she was worth.  The nearby shower was warmer than the water (I think the pool was only heated by the California sun).  Mark took her to the shower and sprayed her with the warm water which she loved.  She insisted he keep spraying her whenever he stopped to spray himself.  Anna had been at work during that and when she saw the video she said, "Youngest child, meet only child."

QE rules the roost and we are her very happy subjects.

On Saturday we went to a farm and QE was delighted by the pumpkins and then we went inside to the part where you can pet the animals.  Braeden said he'd pay and Adam said, "I didn't neglect you when you were little to get ahead so I couldn't pay for my granddaughter."

It was only funny because it was patently untrue.  Adam never neglects anyone.   We saw the goats and the pigs and the donkey and the sheep and the ducks and the geese and the chickens and the kittens.  QE supplied all the sounds they made and pointed out all of their water dishes.  Staying hydrated matters and she knows it.

We stopped at the store for lunch stuff and I bought her one of those little decorative pumpkins because she had been so enamored by the pumpkins at the farm.  She carried it around the rest of the day and called it Pump.  In the afternoon Adam took Mark (who was recovering from the Benadryl so he could survive the animals and their straw) back to our hotel.  Braeden was conducting a baptism and Anna was leading the music for it so I stayed at their apartment while QE slept.  I read and took a nap on the couch so you can see that it was a really hard job.

I read stories to her all day that we were there.  Her favorites are bus bus (Wheels on the Bus), George (Curious George) and this book of art and counting that I brought her.  Curious George stories are not short but she would happily sit through a couple in a sitting.  She started zooming around the room, getting restless.  She said, "Swim."  Then, "Bye bye!" and headed for the door.  Whoever wasn't with her was apparently going to get left behind.

We went out to the little playground in their apartment complex instead.  She loves to hold someone's hand and just run around on the sidewalks, chattering away.  

We went to Red Robin for dinner and took Pump with us.  QE ate an entire hamburger and two servings of mandarin oranges (they are apparently bottomless, just like the fries).  It takes a lot of energy to power that cutie.

At church, when QE saw me she said, "Nana!  Bus bus!"  I hadn't brought the book and that is probably a good thing because it isn't exactly reverent.  Partway through the meeting she pulled her Pump out of the diaper bag and carefully held it.  I am pretty sure she was the cutest little girl there and I'm positive she was the only one holding a pumpkin.

After church we had lunch at Braeden and Anna's and I read her Curious George and she took her nap.  We kissed her and told her we'd see her at Christmas and that caused a little sadness in my heart.  It helped when I remembered that Christmas is coming soon.

We drove back to San Francisco by way of Pittsburg where we used to live in the East Bay.  We showed Mark our apartment and all the things.  It is a pretty spot.  I was feeling pretty good about the amount of time we had for the airport.  I always feel anxious about it and want plenty of time.  Adam said, "Let's drive into San Francisco and show Mark around a little.  It will be fast."

I said, "OK...."

Mark hadn't remembered being in San Francisco because he was little the last time we were there.  Adam showed him where he used to work and we pointed out some of the major landmarks.  My anxiety was rising about the time.  You never know how long returning a rental car and security will take.  It always takes longer with Mark too because of his medical stuff.

Mark told me that Adam was doing exposure therapy for me to help me.  Maybe.  I think some people like to be really early at the airport and some people like to get there at the last possible minute and then they marry each other.

We made it in plenty of time and our flight was even slightly delayed.  Which is sad when you're getting home late.

We made it home and I feel very grateful for time spent with Braeden and Anna and QE and Mark and Adam.  I was also grateful to get home to a cheerful Emma who wanted to tell us all about the music festival she had attended over the weekend with some of her friends.

Grown children are a really great invention.

And now, professional development.  Fingers crossed I stay awake.


2 comments:

Marianne said...

Sounds so wonderful!!

Olivia Cobian said...

You and Adam are the best grandparents!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails