Pages

Monday, October 30, 2023

Weekend

My family returned!  I am grateful to have them both back safely.  Emma had a great timed I am so glad she got to go and see people and that she was so well taken care of by those people.  When someone loves your children, you feel the love and that is all.

Adam was at once impressed by all the Las Vegas over the top-ness (they are totally revamping things for a Formula 1 race and it is sort of a modern marvel), but also so disgusted by the baseness of the place.  He also really enjoyed interacting with graduates.  At one point after the graduation, he was driving Hootie (and can we just pause and appreciate that Adam actually calls the van Hootie even though he resisted the first 10,000 times I called it that) and saw a family walking from the graduation and he knew there was no parking close in the direction they were walking.  He pulled over and offered them a ride and since he was in an enormous WGU van, they didn't feel stranger danger and he was able to give them a ride to their car.    He, at his very core, is a person who likes to help people and I love that about him.

I'm glad he's back.

I spent a good part of Saturday doing all the Saturday things and also getting ready for my party.  I had some teacher friends over and it was so fun.  Our conversation weaved seamlessly between school and our families and our church callings and the science of reading and the temple and school drama and Relief Society and the route for the Halloween parade and scriptures and the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

It is just lovely to have friends who get me on such a cellular level.

Jamie and I talked at length in an aside conversation about motherhood and she is good and wise and I always say she is my life coach instead of just the instructional coach at our school.  When she left (at 11:00!  The party went way past my bedtime!) she thanked me for listening and said that maybe I was her life coach too.

We all need life coaches!

Over the weekend I talked to Marianne (in person) and my parents and Olivia on the phone and that is always the shot in the arm life coaching I need.

Yesterday was a nice day.  It was the primary program at church and I always love that.  We didn't have any Johnsons because they were having a get together on the other side of the family, but Mark came over and we had soup and discussed a doctrinal question I had from preparing for my Sunday School lesson next week. (I pronounced it the way Mr. Collins does in Pride and Prejudice.)

Later we talked to Braeden and he had a lot of good insight for my question and I wish he was here all the time.  He told us about a small miracle he was a part of as Elders quorum president and it made me teary and Adam said, "Don't cry!"  My eyes.  They have flared up again and crying makes them worse.  I told Braeden to be mean to me so I wouldn't cry.  So he tried, but it just made me laugh.  

Which is better than crying.

Today we have the dentist after school, but we've also been invited to a party later (and they said no costumes which so way to read the room if you ask me).  With Halloween tomorrow, today feels like the calm before the storm....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails