Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Tilt a whirl

We did a whirlwind trip to Nevada for dear Liberty's mission farewell.  Jennifer told me my blog post last Friday had been a cliff hanger.  I didn't mean for it to be a cliff hanger.  I don't think I took the time or had the brain capacity to be coherent.

Because things changed my friends.

On the first day of school for me, I found out that they were hiring a new third grade teacher.  I texted Adam during my lunch break and asked him to call me.  He did and said, "I have 90 seconds."

I asked him if I should apply and he said, "Yes."

I said, "Really?"  Because it seemed so crazy.

He said, "Do it.  It's want you want."

So I did.

I had an interview the next morning before school and was offered the job that afternoon.  I've been careening and breathless ever since.

I am super excited and super overwhelmed.  Mostly excited.

And tired.  Did I mention tired?  Because first I couldn't sleep because of the wedding.  Then there was the tiring trip to Virginia then there was the marathon of getting ready for school and now there is this.  My mind won't shut off and I am not sleeping.

I'm sure it won't last forever.  I'll either start sleeping or die.  Either way....

Anyway.

I went from a completely organized classroom that was all decorated how I wanted and a curriculum I'd worked all summer on to an airless musty room that sat idle all summer.  Things like desks and the smart board and pencil sharpener had been pilfered during the summer months and things like broken tables and boxes of miscellany and cast offs had been stashed there.

So I have had/still have my work cut out for me.  I take over a third grade class on Wednesday.  I told Emma I need to talk to my friend Nyla who is a 2nd grade teacher and say, "Tell me everything you know.  Go."

I was there all day Saturday.  My stalwart family joined me.  Tall boys to reach the tall stuff, artistic Emma to do the artistic Emma stuff and Adam to hold everything together and go get lunch and keep me from going insane (more insane?).

Also the two other third grade teachers and an angelic second grade teacher spent hours there on Saturday helping me.  They advised and laminated and hung bulletin boards and one of them brought her label maker and went to town.

There's a reason that I love that school.

I sort of have whiplash from this whole summer.  It's thrown me for several loops.  Here's the thing though:  sometimes the hardest summer of your life ends in your dream job.

I don't know how that works, but I am pretty happy about it.  I am excited and stressed.

And tired. (Oh, I mentioned that?)


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails