Pages

Monday, August 5, 2019

Gaining a daughter and losing a bunch of stuff

Sounds like a win win to me.

Braeden starting packing up his room on Friday.  He packed up his clothes and propaganda posters from off his walls.  I told him he could have the Washington state flag he's had hanging up (but I think it ended up in Mark's room). We analyzed books and decided which were his and which were community property.   At one point, he stopped what he was doing and threw his arms around me.

"Thanks for teaching me to read!  Look at all these books!"

I can't take credit for teaching Emma to read, that just happened.  I am taking ALL the credit for Braeden though.  That battle was hard fought.

I gave him copies of my grandparents' life stories and a copy of Humboldt Heritage which is a book about Elko Stake history that also contains a lot of family history.  These records are all courtesy of my mom and I'm grateful.  Braeden picked up the stack and said, "I feel like Lehi with my records."

To continue with a theme, later he took a magazine file full of Bionicle comics to Mark.  "You know how Nephi gave the sacred texts to his brother when he died?  That's what I'm doing."

"You're not dying though," I said.

And he would agree.  He's super happy.

By Saturday afternoon, Braeden's room was empty and sound echoed in there. It was frankly a little heartbreaking to me.

I told Adam to only go there if he had the emotional fortitude.  I said, "It's emp-ty."

He said, "Should we go to IKEA tonight?"

I said, "Yes.  Let's buy more furnishings.  And tapestries for the walls.  We need to fill that room."

(We didn't go.  We had a lot of other stuff going on. Also, I don't even think IKEA sells tapestries.)

**
*

Last night we sat out on the deck with a lightning storm flashing across the valley.  Emma played her guitar and the three of them sang Johnny Cash and Elvis songs.  Mark hitting the low notes on "Folsom Prison Blues" is my everything.  The evening felt magical and as I looked at those three, I thought, I'm going to miss this.

But I also know life marches on.  I know Braeden getting married to Anna will bring him more happiness than he thought possible.  I know I love Anna.  She will only add goodness to our family.

The only thing I'm losing is a bunch of stuff. And I'm gaining a beautiful daughter.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails