Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

My community

We've been learning a lot about community in social studies, and about how different cultures contribute to community.  (Two vocabulary words this week:  contribute and community.)

My community is sort of a wild ride.

I was talking to them about the value of diversity and I said, "What if I said only people with curly hair and who are left handed can be in my community.  I would miss out on a lot of people with their good ideas and contributions, right?"

One boy said, "Yeah.  Especially since there are only like 1000 people in the world with curly hair."

I got a cyst removed on my wrist.  It was super painful and I went to school bandaged up.  One of the students asked me, "Did someone bite you?"

Because that is the most reasonable explanation?

Another student got a...we'll call it unconventional...haircut and told me his sister had cut it, "Because she wants to be a vet."

I didn't ask.  But I had questions.

I find out more than I want to know about bodily functions.  I hear about the playground angst and whose mother is expecting a baby and whose younger sibling is causing problems.  I hear about exciting happenings, like a camping trip or a visit with Grandma.  I hear about trauma like dead dogs.

I hear every day that someone has a cold and they sniffle and snuffle all over me.

These are the people I spend my days with.

I'm also inspired every day by their courage and earnestness and ability to forgive and work hard and follow directions.

I like where I am.  Every day.

I like my community.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails