Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Overreaction

Monday one of my little students came to school a few minutes late--we were already in the gym for the Monday morning assembly.  I waved at her from the other side and she took her seat on the end of one of our class rows.

After, in the chaos of everyone leaving the gym, I greeted her.  She looked really sad and I put my arm around her shoulder and said I was happy to see her.

She said, "Something really sad happened."

"What happened?"

In the noisy gym, I thought I heard her say, "My brother died yesterday."

I felt like I'd been punched.  She was at school!?!  I thought she just had two little sisters. Maybe I hadn't heard her correctly.

"What happened?" I asked again, leaning down close to hear her in the noise.

"My bunny died," she said.

Hopefully my intense relief didn't show because a dead bunny is sad.  I hugged her again and said, "I'm sorry.  That is sad."

But I was so happy.

***

I have this watch that I've had a long time, probably 15 years or so.  I like it.

I've had a few repairmen, when I take it for a new battery, tell me that it isn't going to last and is going to die.  Then I find a new repairman.  It's a whole pattern.

On Monday, I noticed it had the wrong time.  I started spiraling.  I just replaced the battery last summer--I remember because I had to find a new repairman.  It shouldn't need a new battery.  Was it finally dying?  I didn't want to get a new watch!  I like this watch!

Then I realized the second hand was still moving and the watch was exactly one hour off.  I had forgotten to switch it from Pacific time.

The moral to these stories:  sometimes things aren't as bad they seem.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I wish you had been with Liliana when her bunny died a few weeks ago. You probably would have had more empathy. I could only be happy--one less animal to worry about. I don't think I even told her I was sorry. I just said, "We just bought a whole bag of food! I guess you can give the food to Morgan." Morgan was happy to get it for his new rabbit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails