Pages

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Disney wisdom

We had a lovely day yesterday.  We started opening presents later than we've ever started.  With older kids and one of them moving slowly, I happily read a few chapters of my book before everyone woke up.  We all enjoyed our presents and felt loved.  We Facetimed with Geri and Braeden and Anna.  I got to talk to my parents and Marianne--didn't ever connect with Olivia, though we left several messages for each other.  We'll talk today.

We played a new game we got as a gift from the Jorgensens and it was a lot of fun (I lost abysmally).  Mark built a new Lego set (I don't care how old that kid gets, I'm never not going to give him Legos.  He loves them.)  Emma took a four hour nap and Stella called to check on "our girl."  She is in a very slow and steady climb.  She's a little better every day but not as "better" as she'd like to be.  It will take time.  Stella assured me that is to be expected.

With Braeden married and spending Christmas with Anna's family, it feels different than when he wasn't here for Christmas because of his mission.  He's grown.  For some reason that feels unexpected when everything about life (including my own life) should have been preparing me for this.

I realized that my parents have spent more Christmases with me wishing them a Merry Christmas over the phone than they spent with me home for Christmas.  Christmases with our children at home all just felt like it would last forever, but if I'd looked around, I would have noticed that's not reality.

Maybe I didn't want to notice.

Last night we watched Noelle on Disney+.  I was in the mood for something Christmasy but something I hadn't seen a million times.  We liked the movie.  I particularly keep thinking about one quote from it:

Traditions change. Right? The new ones are scary. But they might be great. And if you know what Christmas means to you, the tradition is just the wrapping. 

I do know what Christmas means to me.  I'll keep rolling with evolving traditions.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails