Pages

Monday, August 10, 2026

Weekend

We went to the funeral of Adam's aunt Jeri on Friday.  It was nice to get together with some family and remember this colorful and loving woman who it was impossible not to love back.  Mark had a test so he didn't go, but Emma went with us and we enjoyed spending some time with her.  

Before dropping Emma off, we had pizza at Settebello in Salt Lake City.  It is one of our favorite pizza restaurants around here.  I am still thinking about the pizza I had.  Peaches and pistachio pesto, burrata and almonds.  It was so good.

Friday night the school stress dreams showed up in force.

I dreamt:

  • my classroom had pools of wax on the floor and zero furniture
  • teachers were banging on Matt's office door to get answers and he refused to open the door
  • I went back to my classroom and it had furniture, but it was all mismatched and broken and I couldn't find my kiva
  • suddenly it was back to school night and all the parents and children were coming
  • it was the first day of school and it was complete bedlam and I didn't have anything planned or ready

So, typical August teacher dreams.  It all stems from will I be ready?!? Mark and I are going today and I will start the process of getting ready.  I don't have as much time as I usually do (usually I start earlier), but hopefully having Mark there will help make up the difference.

There was a bunch of cotton crochet thread in my mother's things.  None of us wanted it, so I was going to take it to DI.  

Then I remembered friendship bracelets.  Maybe that could be a fun activity at our upcoming reunion for some?  I got the idea to make friendship bracelets for my students for back to school night.  I tried my hand on Saturday morning and just like with knitting and crocheting, I'm pretty bad at it.  It's a tension problem.  I tie the knots too tight and instead of a bracelet, I end up with a double helix.  I realized that just braiding them was a better option, so that's what I'm doing for my students.  

Saturday night I dreamed about my mom.  She was walking toward me and she looked healthy and happy and I hugged her.  I also dreamed I was holding a baby and she was sitting next to me.  It was good to see my mom.  It makes me happy every time I think about the dreams.  It makes me feel like she's not that far away.

I was happy to go to church in our ward (I've been elsewhere for over a month) and I led the singing in primary.  It is fun even though the children look at me like I might be crazy and I had the words completely wrong in one of the songs.  It's a nice reality check to keep me humble I guess.

I talked to Braeden and Anna and family.  I asked QE about church and Braeden prompted, "Ask Nana about her church."  She spun her head in his direction and asked, "Is it Sunday everywhere?"  I love seeing her figure out the world.  I also got to see the Young Prince and admire his sitting up ability.

Emma was under the weather so she didn't come over.  At times like that she texts and asks if it is OK if she doesn't come.  I want to text back no, she has to come.  I like it when she comes.  We soldiered on without her though.  After our Come Follow Me Lesson, we played a game and then I roped them into helping me finish off the bracelets.  Mark said he didn't know how to braid (someone didn't play with Barbie's and it shows) and since he's color blind, he didn't want to pick colors for the bracelets.  I would decide the colors and he cut the threads and then I braided.  (The missionaries stopped by so Adam started cutting thread, but then was busy with them.)

I now have 31 bracelets (I aimed for 30 and Adam wanted to make one after the missionaries left).  I don't think I'll have that many students, but I wanted them to be able to choose.

So I have exactly one thing ready for school to start next week and it is friendship bracelets.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that.  Hopefully after today I'll be in a lot better shape.


1 comment:

Marianne Johnson said...

Hooray for friendship bracelets!