Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Birthday Boy Part One




When I was a little girl, I wanted a big brother.  Lots of my cousins had big brothers.  I loved my big sister, Marianne, but I wanted a big brother.

My parents had three daughters then Enoch.

As a result, Enoch had to tolerate a lot of mothering and meddling from his three older sisters (although I think we raised him pretty well).  He also had to endure being tied up with our jump ropes (but only when we were trying to stave off attacks from him hitting us with his stick horse).

But then he surpassed us in size (I finally got my big brother). 




We suddenly had someone to push our cars out of snowdrifts and start a fire in the wood stove when our dad was gone and carry anything heavy.

Enoch is either the most charismatic person I know or the most optimistic person I know.  Likely both.

Once when we were in college, my sisters and I were home at Christmas time.  Along with my mom, we were scurrying around getting a gift prepared and wrapped for Enoch's girlfriend at the time and he was holding court at the kitchen table, watching us and charming us and not doing a single thing towards the gift.

Finally Olivia realized what was going on.

"Why are we doing all of this for YOUR girlfriend?"

I don't think we stopped helping Enoch though.  Enoch's superpower is talking you into doing things and making it so you feel grateful that he's given you the honor to serve him.

I don't know how it happens.

Then there's his optimism.  When he was in high school, there was a "mercy rule" in the teeny tiny Nevada schools that were hours and hours apart.  (Maybe the rule is still in place.)  If your football team was 30 points behind, they'd call the game and you could start for home.

I remember talking to Enoch on the phone from my college apartment.   I asked him about football and he told me their record was three and six.  I was a little surprised, my impression was that they'd lost more than that.  I said, "You have won three games?" 

He said, "No.  We got to finish three games."

He was as happy as he could be.

Enoch's optimism is still going strong.  He takes challenges head on and is tenacious and confident enough that he knows everything will work out in the end.

And I'm sure he's right.

He also still has that charm.  To this day, I'm sure he could talk me into anything and I wouldn't even realize I was doing him a favor.  I would feel privileged to be asked.

There's more to my brother than all this outward force of character though.  He is gentle and capable and generous.  He picked a spectacular wife and works hard for his family.

Happy Birthday dear Enoch.

You are loved.


This is a random picture of Enoch and me dancing at Adam's and my wedding reception at Adam's parents' house.  The kid can dance.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

That might have been the year I put on the gift tag (to his girlfriend): "Sorry things didn't work out."

Another nice thing about Enoch: He plowed our lane yesterday--completely out of the blue and in the midst of his hectic life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails