Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bear of Very Little Brain

“People who don't Think probably don't have Brains; rather, they have grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake.”

-Winnie the Pooh

I think I've finally lost all my marbles.  My cognition has been compromised.

Is it Christmas preparations that are getting to me?

I have a pile of presents under the tree which is good for my anxiety.  They're wrapped!  They're done!

What's bad for my anxiety is that I can't remember exactly what's in them.  I have counted several times to see if my children have an equal number.  Then I realize one child has more.  I get more gifts for the other two.  Then I remember that I still have stuff coming from Amazon.  Then I panic.  Now how many gifts does everyone have?

I remember things I've purchased. Are they wrapped?  Are they hiding in my closet?

Will I have to just unwrap everything and see once and for all what I really have?

This is no way to live.  I don't know what to blame for my gifting indiscretion.  It could be that I'm busier than I've ever been in my life.  I feel like my To Do list is chasing me every day and I'm staying ahead of it by sheer force of will. 

And losing my marbles all along the way.

Take this for example:  I have phone troubles.  And by phone troubles I don't just mean my phone isn't working.

Although it isn't.

Remember this?  And then there was the time last summer that I gave my neighbor my phone number so she could call Braeden to babysit.

Except for I gave her Janet's phone number accidentally.

Then since my phone isn't working, I've been troubleshooting it (between trying to remember what exactly is under the tree and Everything Else),  I plugged in an old phone to see if the phone was the trouble.  I dialed my number from my cell phone to see if the old phone would at least accept a call.

Except I dialed Janet's number accidentally.

Yesterday I was still troubleshooting the miserable phones (between trying to remember what exactly is under the tree and Everything Else).  The phone company, which was trying to be helpful but mostly just frightened me with talk of $91 for the first half hour if a repairman came, told me some things to try.  I wanted to call Adam to make sure I knew what I was doing.  So I dialed his cell phone.

Except I dialed Janet's number accidentally.

She said, "Did you mean to call me?"

I said, "No," sheepishly.

Really though, if you're going to keep calling someone, accidentally, don't you think Janet is a great choice?

I do.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Wow. Write this down. 425-379-7701 Put this in a safe place.

Good luck with your gifts.

Robert Johnson said...

I say good luck with your phone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails