Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Why I Love It

Last night my book club met at my house for our annual Christmas shin dig.  Coincidentally, it was also the day my kids were going to go to their Grandma Geri's house to help her set up her Christmas decorations.  (For obvious reasons) she asked for Braeden and Emma but then (because she's nice like that) she also said Mark could come over.

She picked them up about 4:00 in the afternoon and told me that she could keep them until Adam could pick them up on his way home from work.

She said if it got late enough, she'd feed them dinner.

She told me to enjoy some time to get things done.

(What mother doesn't need a little extra time--sans children-- to get some things done?  In December?)

I decided my Why I Love It post for this Wednesday had to highlight my dear mother-in-law.

Living near her is a definite plus for living in this area.

By the time Adam had picked up our kids last night, after his soul robbing sojourn up I-5, she had fed them, put up with their antics for several hours, and even gave them dessert.

All the while I was home, readying my house for book club (because I love mythology and fairy tales and want to create the impression that we always live in a clean house, you know?).  When things were all prepared, I wrapped some gifts and cleaned my desk in the school room.  Wonderful.

And I was so grateful to my mother-in-law.  There have been more times than I can count that she has helped me like that.

Once, after my mom had gone home but Mark was still newborn enough that I was ex-haust-ed, she came over one afternoon, armed with a gingerbread house kit.  She sent me to take a nap (it took zero convincing) and while I slept, she built a gingerbread house with my attention starved children.




I really appreciate the wonderful son she raised for me to marry.  Truly.  But I also love her for the kindness she shows to me.  So very often.

Geri.

One of the reasons why I love it here.

(For those of you that saw my last, now deleted, post sporting a picture of The King Of Town and some other gibberish, don't be alarmed about my sanity or computer security.  I was showing my friend Heidi some tricks of the blogging trade last night after book club and I forgot to delete the demo post.)

2 comments:

Robert Johnson said...

Your post about Mark got me crying and then this one really made me cry! I don't know why. I'm glad you have Geri and I love you and miss you and yours.

Olivia Cobian said...

I don't why this made me cry, but I'm glad Marianne had my same sentiments. I'm grateful for Geri too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails