Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Is the Hymn Mocking Me?

Today in church we sang the hymn Gently Raise the Sacred Strain.  It's a fine hymn and one I've always liked just fine.

When we got to the second verse, "Holy day, devoid of strife..."

I wondered if W.W. Phelps, who wrote the song, ever fought with his daughter about what dress to wear, prodded children into the shower...then out of the shower...then into their church clothes.  I wondered if scriptures, belts and shoes got lost and were scrambled for on Sunday morning.

I wondered if he realized one Sunday morning in late December that his SEVEN YEAR OLD doesn't know how to tie his shoes(!) because it's always just been easier to tie them.

Maybe someday we'll have a holy day, devoid of strife.

Not today, but maybe someday.

1 comment:

Robert Johnson said...

Don't feel bad. My 7 1/2 year old doesn't know how to tie shoes for the same reason. I don't know if he'll ever learn. Who's got that kind of time?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails