Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What Have I Signed Up For?

My mom assures me that parenting gets harder rather than easier.

Great.

Here's evidence that she's correct.

Mark just came up to me when I called him back from recess. He put his arms around my neck and swiveled my head towards him. He meant business.

He said, "I have a problem, Mom, and I need your help."

Okay...

"When I grow up I am going to be a builder and I'm going to need things."

He looked at me, inches from my face, to make sure I was still with him.

I was. I said, "You mean you'll need tools?"

"Yes, and other things. I'll need wood and wiring and bricks and a water heater to build a house. I'm going to need a lot of things. And I'll need your help."

He stared into my eyes. Waiting for my support.

I remembered my little brother Ammon, the builder. The creator of Popsicle stick suspension bridges and igloos. When he was about Mark's age he decided he needed to marry a wife with a ladder so that he would be able to build them a house. I guess he figured he could cover the rest.

When Ammon married Melanee, she gave him a ladder (and today's her birthday so happy birthday Melanee!).

It looks like I'm on the hook to supply Mark though. I told him I'd help him.

What else is a mother supposed to do when confronted with those brown eyes?


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails