Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

On My Honor I Will Do My Best To Do My Duty



There are two types of mothers of scouts in the world.  The Supportive Seasoned Moms (S.S.M.s) and the Cranky Reluctant Moms (C.R.M.s).

Guess which one I am?

The great equalizer is that we all have to sew the patches on.  I've had S.S.M.s tell me that all I needed to do was use my sewing machine.

SO easy!

I've had S.S.M.s tell me that all I needed to do was buy the iron on material to iron on the patches.

SO easy!

It must be the karma, angry with me for my C.R.M. status.  Neither method works for me.  I've broken sewing machine needles and the iron on stuff didn't work.  One fell swoop from my boy and the patches dropped right off.

So I've resigned myself to the old fashioned needle and thread.  The spirit sapping and tedious driving of an unwilling needle through thick patches that are made of the most impenetrable materials known to man.  The poking of my tender fingers.  The stiffness in my bent neck.

I don't want you to feel too sorry for me, I did find a sunny spot to work this afternoon and I listened to podcasts of This American Life from NPR while I toiled.  It wasn't complete torture.

But while I sat, I considered that it was only just that the mothers received a pin when their scouts achieved a new rank.  It's a reward for all of the sewing.

On further consideration, I came to the conclusion that the pins are in no way worth the effort.



They're really sort of ugly. (Bad, bad C.R.M.!)

I do know what is worth it though.  Or I should say who.

This boy.



The one who is either eating a bowl of cereal or thinking about eating a bowl of cereal at any given time.

My scout.

3 comments:

Clarissa Johnson said...

At our blue and gold banquent Hyrum got really excited about being a scout. He memorized the promise. (You can read about it on Desi's blog.)

Janet said...

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't sewed or ironed on even ONE merit badge yet . . . not sure which camp that puts me in. :)

Olivia Cobian said...

I heard from a scout mom today. She was indignant that I hadn't signed off her son's merit badge requirements. She knows her son did it all. He just couldn't wait around for me to sign on it. (I was signing off other scouts' stuff.) I kind of thought Jr. should have called himself. I guess she's a mom that likes sewing on badges and will go to any length to earn them for her son.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails