Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

You Say It's Your Birthday

It's my birthday too.

(contrary to how this picture looks, we weren't on an awkward first date and I wasn't armless)


For 18 years, Adam and I have been celebrating our birthdays together (except for when he was in Finland...then we were apart).

In this (faded) picture, I'm delighted with my gift and Adam thinks I'm crazy--not for the last time.  I wonder what he would have thought if someone told him "someday you'll marry that crazy person".

We aren't very efficient when planning how to celebrate.

What do you want to do for your birthday?

It's your birthday too.  What do YOU want to do?

is it just me or do I have three legs in this picture?

Do you want to go out to dinner?

Do YOU?  It's your birthday too.

Where should we go?

Where do YOU want to go?

It's your birthday too.

 One of our friends, Robbie, has a birthday the day before ours.

Should we go to a movie?

Do YOU want to go to a movie?

It's your birthday.

Well, it's yours too.


What kind of cake?

(Do you see what I mean?)

On the morning of one of our birthdays in college, Adam knocked on my apartment door early in the morning with the ingredients to make me french toast, which is my favorite breakfast.

Last night he went to the store (after I was asleep) and bought all the things needed so our kids could make us french toast.  It had been Mark's idea.

There's no one I'd rather celebrate my birthday with than Adam.

No one.

Yesterday I made a series of mistakes related to my inability to effectively read instructions and then some related to the computer.  I'm impatient and impetuous and dive into things without really knowing what I'm doing.

It was demoralizing.

Adam nudged me into our room and put his arms around me.  "I'm an idiot," I said, into his chest.

"No," he said, "You are brave.  You try things that are out of your comfort zone."

Do celebrities with scandals know about Adam?

Because he's good at putting a positive spin on stupidity.

Early this morning, our insomnia overlapped at 3:00 a.m.  We started talking about birthdays and getting older.   

I told him that maybe getting older doesn't bother you when you're happy.

I don't mind getting older right along with Adam.

Because I'm happy.

And he's why.

This was taken last year on our birthday:  at Disneyland.

7 comments:

Janet said...

HAPPY, HAPPY Birthday you two! I hope you've figured our how you are going to celebrate . . . although last year's trip to Disneyland with your kiddos is probably hard to top.

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you both have a wonderful, wonderful day. Love to you both!

Melanee said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you both have a wonderful day!

Christie said...

Happy birthday to you both!

Clarissa Johnson said...

I loved this post. I also loved the blast from the past pictures. Love, M

Geri said...

Happy Birthday to my twins even if I only get credit for birthing one of them. Luckily for me Adam grew into his size and did not come with such a large presence. I do know you have decided part of your birthday but whatever you do you'll have fun because you are together. Best friends forever. Happy Birthday!

Susie said...

Happy Birthday to the both of you!! How cool is that to be born on the same day and year! Love the pictures of you both!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails