Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lego Star Wars for Moms

Now I understand why all Mark wanted to do was play Lego Star Wars all day.  If he felt like I feel (like a truck hit me, then backed up and ran back over me a second time), then I can see the charms of the red chair.

When you're the mom, things are never that simple (take my cousin Hannah for example...she has pneumonia and three babies to take care of...sending love and chicken soup wishes your way Hannah!).

Rather than Lego Star Wars, yesterday was filled with teaching my children, visiting teaching, Costco, lunch for ravenous off spring, taking Emma to the orthodontist for three impressions of her teeth.  Emma and impressions.  Not for the weak at heart.

After folding laundry, I was spent.  Too tired to contemplate the rest of my to do list.

Laying on my bed (amidst the folded laundry piles) my eye caught my blue notebook.  It's the notebook I started in 1999.  I have written things about my children in it...very intermittently.  It's my collection of the ways they've entertained me over the years.

I'm glad children are entertaining.  It makes up for them giving you their germs then expecting you to continue to mother them.

I pulled out my notebook and was entertained anew by my children.  It was every bit as good as Lego Star Wars. 

It's become clear that Braeden has been making me laugh for a long time.

Some of my favorites:

January 2000

Braeden said the blessing on the food for dinner and said:  Thank you that I don't have to eat these peas.

February 2000

We went on a trip to Nevada but left Emma's Winnie the Pooh behind.  We borrowed Marianne's Winnie the Pooh puppet while we were in Nevada.

When we got the original Pooh back, Braeden said, "Who found Pooh's legs?"

June 2000

Braeden had some dirt behind his ear.  Adam was trying to clean it and Braeden said, "It's just part of me Dad.  Like those sharpies on your face."

October 2000

At dinner Braeden sighed and said, "Mom, you are a lot to listen to."  (He still feels this way about me.)

Braeden was chasing Emma around and said, "I'm going to kill you!"  I told him I didn't like him saying things like that.  A few minutes later he said, "Mom, is 'I'm going to blow your head off' better?"

November 2003

Braeden said, "Mom when are you going to learn that things that look dangerous are fun?"

December 2004

We were listening to Bing Crosby's "White Christmas."  Braeden said, "Mom and Dad, I feel sorry for you if this is the rock music you had to listen to when you were teenagers."

April 2005  

Braeden and I read a poem for school.  I asked him how he liked it; he said, "It's short."

May 2006

Braeden said, "Dad, you know the flying monkeys on The Wizard of Oz?  I think I could take one of them down."



Gone are the days that Braeden unintentionally made me laugh.  Now he makes me laugh quite on purpose.

The other day he told me he wanted his own room.  I told him something along the lines of "too bad so sad" and he said, "Why can't Emma and Mark share a room?"

Emma said smugly, "I can't share a room with Mark.  I'm the only girl so I can't share a room."

Braeden said, "Emma, you can do anything you want if you just believe in yourself."

Words to live by.

Now juice.  Sudafed.  Onward. (Plus Mark told me that he's SO sorry I'm sick and he will be my server today.)



This has nothing to do with anything but this is a picture from my darling little sister's blog.  She's in Mexico right now.  (She's the tall whitey in the middle.)  I think I'm going to paint my entire house that shade of blue.  I'm in love with it.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thelma, you need to eat one of those Fiber One bars that made Mark better. And some chocolate. That always helps.

Good luck. We've been a bit under the weather too so I have great sympathy. I'm also determined to stop playing phone tag and talk to you on the phone.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are sick. We are having a snow day around here. Actually, just Robert. The rest of us are pressing on. Love, M

Katie said...

lol, those are too funny!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails