Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Nobody wins

Pride does not look up to God and care about what is right. It looks sideways to man and argues who is right.
Ezra Taft Benson

Pride. Nobody wins.  Pride is comparing.  It is looking sideways.  If you come out on top in comparison, you may feel a fleeting sense of satisfaction.  It is a hollow victory though.  If you come out lacking in the comparison, you feel bad.

Comparing is a roadblock to authenticity.

If you are victim to pride, you are doing things that will be good--in comparison to everyone else.

If you are being authentic, you are doing things that will be good--because they are right for you.

Big difference.

When pride has a hold on our hearts, we lose our independence of the world and deliver our freedoms to the bondage of men’s judgment.
Ezra Taft Benson

I don't want to be in bondage of men's (or women's) judgments.

So how do we keep from comparing when it feels like it's almost hardwired into our thinking?  I think the antidote is love.  Love other people rather than try to compete with them.  Love yourself enough that you don't need to be better than someone else to be OK.  

Keep reminding me I wrote this next time I start comparing myself...

Because like other topics I've written about this month, I'm not so great at this.

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails