Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Books I read in October 2012


Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen****

This is YA fiction we read for book club.  I loved it!  It was sweet but not too sweet.  It had enough meat to it to be a satisfying read.  I recommend it.




Moccasin Trail by Eloise Jarvis McGraw****

This is a book I read aloud to Mark for school.  I really enjoyed it.  It's set during the time Oregon was being settled.  A young man that left home as a boy and lived with Crow Indians is reunited with his siblings.  Their cultures clash and I think the author did a great job leading the reader along to better understand each culture.  You would like it even if you weren't a 4th grader.






Some Assembly Required by Anne Lamont *

I read a good third of this book which is saying something since I don't love memoirs.  (Although I want to.)  It was whiny a lot and I felt like she needed to get a life and not be so obsessive about her grandson.  Also, occasionally, it was really insightful like when her son Sam said that since his son, Jax, was born, Sam was only "Sam" in his relationship with God.  With everyone else, it was about Sam and Jax.  I find that true.  After having kids, it's about them or you and them.  For me, they are the main thing I seem to pray about so every relationship is still about them...




 Freedom Train by Dorothy Sterling**

This is another 4th grade book.  Mark read it on his own.  I did too.  It was interesting and I learned more about Harriett Tubman.  About halfway through the book, I felt like the author got a little lost.  She skipped around and neither Mark or I loved the book.  You don't have to love school books, but still.  If you have a burning desire to learn about Harriett Tubman, I'm sure there are better books in the world.





Look Again by Lisa Scottoline ***

I liked this book.  It was sort of chilling and very compelling.  A mother recognized her adopted son on a missing child flier that was in her mail.  It was an exciting read but sort of asked me to believe in a few too many coincidences.  Still, I liked it.




Lincoln a Photobiography by Russell Freedman****

I read this book to Mark and I thought it was excellent.  I learned a lot about Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War and was also fascinated by the photography.  It was the perfect book for us.  Mark and I both enjoyed it.



The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot ***

I also read this book for book club.  It was one of those very interesting books I would never have picked up on my own.  It's one reason why I love my book club.  It's the story of a woman who, in the 50s died of cervical cancer.  Scientists took a sample of her tumor cells and the cells continue to live and grow and are used in research.  This book was also about Henrietta's family and how they've coped with learning their mother's cells were still around and being used.  It sort of rocked my world.  I felt my eyes were open to people that live in the same country that I do but have vastly different experiences and realities. 




The Perilous Road by William O. Steele **

Mark really liked this book.  I thought it was OK.  It's set during the Civil War. (Can you tell what Mark's been learning about?)  It felt like a kid book.  Not too much to it for me but Mark enjoyed it.  Since the main character lives in the South, it gave him a different perspective which was good.




 Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey****

This book very well changed my life.  My friend Heidi--Heidi with beautiful curly hair--lent this book to me.  It has helped me to have hair that is less frizzy.  And when you live where it rains, that is a beautiful thing.  You need to read this book if you have curly hair.  (If you have straight hair, you can read whatever you want.)



Being Dead is No Excuse by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays ***

This book was entertaining.  Really, even though it's the Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral.  It was part commentary on culture in the Mississippi Delta and part cookbook.  I realized that as charming as these ladies seemed, I'm very grateful that I don't have to go to funerals in the Mississippi Delta.  When I read recipes like Tomato Soup Salad, I was slightly horrified.  It called for unflavored gelatin and canned tomato soup.  Ew.


I felt really busy in the month of October but I read a lot, so life isn't so very bad.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails