Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Emma

Last week I blogged about Mark.  The last two days have probably given you your fill of Braeden.

Here's something about Emma.

First there are two things you should know about my girl.

1)  In nearly every way measurable, she is one smart cookie.  She is good at spelling and writing.  (Her poetry brings me to tears.) She has a great vocabulary and is a whiz at balancing chemical equations.  She's good at math and is my go to for computer questions when Adam isn't available.  She's sharp, clever, bright...

...except when she's not.

2) At times, it seems her common sense is on vacation, it's left the building.  It doesn't exist.

Let me illustrate.  Emma was helping me count money from the concession stands for the play.  For all the reasons stated above, she's the one I asked for help.

She looked at a quarter with Helen Keller on it.  She looked puzzled.  "I think I've heard of her," she said, "Who's Helen Keller?"

Adam said, "She was famous.  She was blind and deaf."

Emma cocked her head to the side.  "I thought that was Ray Charles," she said.

(As if to say there's only one slot for famous blind person and it's taken.)

The next day, I told Emma we'd make cookies Wednesday and write on them Thursday morning.  We had discussed at length ways to use the edible pens for Thanksgiving.

Emma said, "I don't know what you mean."

Adam patiently said it again, "Mom said you'd write on the cookies Thanksgiving morning."

"I still don't get it."

Adam said, "Remember the conversation you had with her about what you'd write on the cookies?"

"The edible markers?" I reminded her.

"Ohhhhh, I thought you said ride on the cookies and I didn't understand."

Braeden said, "Context clues, Emma.  Context clues."

Emma sighed.  "This is like the Helen Keller thing all over again."

I love that girl.  I love how smart she is.  I love how ditzy she is.  I love how good-natured she is about it all.

it's sort of blurry but I love this picture


Of all the many things I have to be grateful for, she's pretty high on the list.  (And she consented to skip school today!  Homeschooling--a hard habit to break.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm glad Emma skipped school. Those other kids need a chance to catch up. Did you get Braeden too?

Thelma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thelma said...

No. They were taking club pictures for the yearbook so he wanted to go. He picked drama over mama.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails