Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Rome wasn't built in a day

Civilizing children.  It's an uphill battle.  There are all the basic manners:  the pleases and thank yous, the don't chew with your mouth open and don't slam the door.

Then there are the subtleties.  The things like don't torment people that have accidentally texted you.

When Braeden gets a wrong number text, and it happens more often than you would think, he considers he has struck comedic gold.  He loves engaging the person in a conversation and seeing how long he can take it.

When we were at Ammon and Melanee's the other night, someone texted Braeden and asked him if they could stay on Saturday night.  It was a 425 number, our old WA area code.  Since Braeden has told anyone and everyone they can come and stay with us, I thought it was a real possibility we'd have guests on Saturday.  Braeden was excited.  He'd welcome anyone from the 425.

Emma was going down her list of contacts, trying to figure out who it could be and then Braeden realized it was a wrong number.  That didn't stop him in the least.  He carried on a conversation until I made him end it.  Some poor woman with sons thought she had sleeping arrangements set up but she was texting an obnoxious teenager in Utah.

Later, I pointed out to Braeden that just like he wouldn't laugh at and mock someone in person who had accidentally done something, he shouldn't mock someone who had accidentally texted his number.  I explained it just embarrasses that person when they eventually realize they had the wrong number.

Braeden finally said he agreed with me and he would do better.

Yesterday he texted me:  "It was really hard but I did the right thing."

Here's what happened:


I'll call it progress.  Jesse from Pilchuck Rentals, it could have been worse.  I am trying to civilize this kid.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I have mourned that prank calling days are over because of caller ID. I'm glad there's something kids can do these days for fun. I wish someone would accidentally text me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails