Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Viva Las Vegas

We were in Las Vegas at about dinner time.  We decided to seek out a Safeway/Von's.  We miss Safeway.  Our phones brought up several options but then I was too carsick to be of any help.  It is no good when your navigator gets carsick when trying to read something.  Kind of useless.

We pulled off the freeway and Adam found a close Von's.  What Google Maps fails to mention is the neighborhood Von's is in...

We were a few blocks off the strip and when I noticed bars on the windows of businesses and hotel rooms and apartment buildings, I told Adam it may not be a good place to be.

Adam said, "We'll be fine."  Because that's what he always says.

We got to Von's and I told the kids to Stay Together.  We walked past the metal detectors and then past the armed security guard and one way gate over to the deli that was surreal because it was like the Safeway in Silver Firs...although that Safeway doesn't have metal detectors or an armed security guard or a one way gate.

We got some of our favorites--maple cookies for example.  Braeden had wandered off in search of a bathroom and the rest of us needed to go too.  Adam said, "Here, give me the food and I'll go pay."

I handed stuff to Braeden too.  "You go too and help Dad carry stuff," I said.

"No," Adam said firmly, "I got it."  Then he looked at Braeden and said, "Stay with them."

It was the first time I realized Adam was a little nervous about it all too.

In the bathroom, there was a generously proportioned women in a too tight neon pink tank top splashing water from the sink all over the body.  "My son has sticky hands," she said by way of explanation.  I smiled because I understand about sons and sticky hands.  There wasn't really anything I could add to her statement though because in all my experience with sticky handed children, I've never had to splash water all over my body.  Those were some sticky hands!

Next door was a Little Caesar's pizza and that's what Braeden and Mark wanted for dinner.  Adam started to go inside and the boys followed him because that's what they do.  Again Adam stopped Braeden.  "Stay with them," he said urgently.

"Can't we just go to the car?" Emma wondered.  Every cell of her body, like mine, was on high alert. 

"No," Adam said.  "Stay here."  I think he wanted us where he could see us.

I stood close to Braeden, appreciating every bit of his 75 inches and glad for his broad back.  There was a guy close by, smoking and watching us, a few people across the parking lot, also watching, and another security guard pacing nearby.  I told Braeden to look intimidating.  That's not really him though.  He's the kid that lets spiders and bugs go outside rather than killing them.

Adam and Mark emerged with the pizza and we high tailed it for the van.

We were all mostly glad to still be alive.  And I don't think we'll ever go back there.  We didn't leave anything behind...


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails