Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The struggle is real

I saw on the Viking Newsletter from PGHS that there is a graduation date all set for my boy.

It made me physically ill.  Graduation.  You do realize Viking Newsletter that Braeden is only this old?



Graduating seems a little premature at this point.

He's my baby!


The alternative is for him to be a high school drop out.  Those are my two choices.  That seems unfair.

Especially since this just happened.  Yesterday.


I want a third choice.  Something along the lines of time standing still.

Braeden says The Struggle is Real often.  It is his multipurpose statement for having something hard to do or for not being able to find something or for being tired or (most often) for being hungry.

The struggle often IS real though.  Our latest struggle has been getting him signed up to retake the SAT.  Better that score!  Easy as pie! 

No.

It's not as easy as anything.  He qualified for accommodations because of his learning disability, he qualified last year.  He was able to use a laptop for the test.  The combination of moving to a new school and having accommodations are too much for the online sign up apparently.  It was not working.  Braeden struggled through the process for awhile but couldn't make headway.  I took over and spent over an hour on the phone with unhelpful people at the College Board.   Everyone I talked to had a different reason why it wasn't working.  Finally someone told me I needed to have someone at his school do something or other. 

I mustered my courage and went to the school. I explained my sad tale to Braeden's counselor and he said, "I don't know much about the SAT (most kids in Utah take the ACT). 

I said, "Is there someone here who can help me?  Someone who knows about it?"

He said, "Yeah.  Me.  I know the most."

We both sighed and I followed him to his office.  We worked through it.  I explained and re-explained.  When you have a child with a learning disability; when you are seeking an accommodation, you have to be persistent.  You have to keep pushing when people tell you no.  Braeden's comparatively minor issues are a lot of work, I can't imagine how much energy it would take to advocate for someone who needed more services.

I also felt grateful to my unflinching parents as I was leaving the school--having hopefully figured out the mess.  My mom has never backed down from any fight if her cause was just, especially if it was on behalf of her children.  As for my dad, his voice in my head says this:

Avoid negative phrases:  if, I hope, I'll try, I'll do my best.  Say instead you'll do it.  Will you do it?
He told me that so many times while I was growing up it was burned into my consciousness. 

So I channel my parents and keep at it.

Besides, some people are worth struggling for.



4 comments:

Stephanie L Johnson said...

All very cute photos of Braeden. Graduating, whoa, actually quite cool,

stephanie

Marianne said...

So, when is graduation??

Clarissa Johnson said...

Oh! I love Braeden! You guys are seriously the best. :)

Olivia Cobian said...

Braeden's little clothes have been very well-worn by my boys. Some of them are still in use. I hope they grow up to be as dashing as Braeden. Would that blue shirt be available for my boys' senior pictures?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails