Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

Sesquicentennial

Happy Nevada Day!  (And Happy Halloween.)

Nevada became a state 150 years ago.  Exciting times.  Last night we had a celebration with Clarissa, Ammon, Melanee, Cormac and Azure.  So pretty much the best Utah County has to offer as far as party guests go...

Whenever I have people over for dinner, the top priorities are setting the table and the dessert.  (So I guess the lesson here is you may not want to come too hungry.)


I cut some sagebrush a few steps beyond our yard.  And then added a few silver sparkles.  Because, The Silver State.


Here's a close up of the genuine Nevada made spurs made by my lovely Daddy.

When I was in college my dad also made me a Nevada shaped cookie cutter because I asked him to.  It's nice to have a dad that can make a cookie cutter on demand.  I put it to good use with gingerbread cookies.  I was going to pipe 150 on them with frosting (in an attempt to copy Olivia's awesomeness) but I didn't get to it.


You've got to have beef when you are celebrating Nevada so Adam brought home some beef brisket from Dickey's.  Mmmmmm.

After dinner, we played some exciting games and everyone got prizes worth...dollars.  It was like a little kid soccer league.  Everyone got a trophy even if they didn't know that the Nevada state fossil is Icthyosaur.

Ammon disputed some of the trivia but then he said he didn't really care that much and he was just happy to get his glamorous glittery pencils (that was his prize).

We watched Waddie Mitchell, who is my dad's friend and also the official poet of the Silver State's Sesquicentennial, recite a poem he was commissioned to write.  You can find anything you want when you google.

Finally we had pumpkin birthday cake with cream cheese frosting.
 

We enlisted darling children to blow out the candles. (We lit them twice.)


Since it is Halloween, here's a little costume reveal:


This was taken at the Halloween carnival.  Mark is a Doctor Who something or other (I can't keep up).  Braeden is going to a Halloween party tonight at one of his friend's house.  He and several of his friends are going as PBS stars.  There will be Mr. Rogers and Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Braeden is Bob Ross.


He needs to fluff out his hair more but he's almost got it.  Also, you'll be happy to note that I have since ironed that shirt.  The boy's in charge of his own laundry now...It's not always pretty.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Braeden's costume is THE BEST! This made my day. Has he learned the song? You've probably already seen this but just in case you haven't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO7tCdBVrA
I think I need to go paint some happy little clouds and happy little trees--it will bring a lot of good thoughts to my heart. This is my world, I'm the creator. I can do it. I believe I can do it. Boy, I need to listen to this song every day--have those positive messages ringing in my ears.
p.s. You throw the best Nevada parties!

Olivia Cobian said...

What is that painter's name? Bob something or other. He taught Edgar everything he (Edgar) knows about oil painting! Ross! I think it's Bob Ross!

Lovely Nevada party. I wish I'd been there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails