Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

That's better

The previous owners of our house had a bright yellow living room.

I'm not altogether opposed to yellow.  I had a yellow laundry room in our old house that I quite liked.  I'm not even opposed to yellow living rooms.  My friend Frances has a beautiful living room with buttery yellow walls that I love.

Maybe this just didn't go with our furniture?  I don't know.  I just know that every time I walked into that room I felt like I was in the yolk of a hard boiled egg.  It's not a pleasant sensation.  I painted it Saturday.  I'm abysmal at before and after pictures.  I usually start painting as soon as I possibly can once I get the idea and I don't think about Before pictures.

Here are some I gathered though...so you could appreciate the yellowness.



This is before I had many accessories in place.  And it's a little dark.

Here, I texted Adam a picture of our 12th man flag and you can see a little corner of the yellow:


It made me slightly ill.

I painted the walls the same color as the walls in our old house's living room.  I knew I liked that color:





A great side benefit of the work, besides not having my sensibilities assaulted every time I walked in the room, is that our house feels more like Our House now.  I have put my stamp on it.  It feels nice.

I want to move the chairs into the family room and shuffle all furniture in general.  Adam and I are in talks.  I'll let you know how it goes.  (He usually doesn't have/get much of an opinion on furniture but this scheme of mine involves purchases so he gets a vote.)

Since I was in a painting mood, I also painted some furniture.  Painted wood furniture makes my heart sing.

Melanee gave me this desk:


She wanted to sell it and when I expressed interest she gave it to me for the family discount of free.

Braeden's bedroom is sort of Spartan and depressing in general.  He doesn't mind because he only sleeps there and switches which clothes are on his body and which are on the floor (I know, but I'm not going to die on that hill.  I have other battles to fight).  I decided to paint the desk and put it in his room.


I sanded the edges and applied an antique glaze to make it look a little less freshly painted and a little more comfy.  I tell you, it's going to take more than this desk to make Braeden's room a showpiece though...

I also painted this console table--here is a Before picture taken from our old house:


And here it is now:


I also roughed it up a little after painting.  I don't know why, I just wanted to.

Money and time spent on painting is well spent for me.  I feel like I've feathered my nest a little; I feel a little more at home.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Good job! I like painted wood furniture too.

Olivia Cobian said...

Beautiful! You add a special touch.

Janet said...

Looking snazzy, Mama Bird!

Stephanie L Johnson said...

Your home looks nice, I like the touches, it is just so far for a vist.....this afternoon.

bummer,

hugs

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails