Pages

Friday, October 3, 2014

Cousins

A cousin is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.
Lately I think Braeden has been feeling the reality of his senior year and the uncertainty and Bigness of his future.  He's always been a bit of a Peter Pan, not sure he wants to grow up.  I think it's probably a sign of maturity that he realizes Wait, this is huge!

Last night we were talking about all of it and I told him that my life keeps getting better.  I had a happy childhood but college was better than high school, being married is better than not being married, and having children is better than not.  I told him about hanging out with Marianne the other night.  It was wonderful.  We talked and talked and have a deep connection even though we don't see each other often enough.  I promised him that the good parts of his childhood will keep getting better.

Clarissa is an example.


The oldest two cousins, they've always been good friends.  They were born in the same hospital and spent a good part of their first year of life together.  There was a short window of time when they didn't quite know how to play together--the boy/girl thing--but they were always comfortable around each other.

As they grow up, I love seeing their relationship.  Last night, I took them to the Provo temple together.  (I was going to have Braeden drive to assure me he knew the way so I wouldn't have to be involved next time but I forgot...)  When we picked Clarissa up, she was her normal happy self, gracious in assuring us it was OK we were late.  The two immediately started talking.  Braeden told her about his recent auditions and how he was cast (he is in the ensemble and he's pretty happy about it).  Clarissa was excited for him and complimentary.  He invited her to his Shakespeare night where he is performing and they made the dismal discovery that it is the same night that she is competing in BYU's Got Talent.  She sent in an audition video and made the cut!  She said, "I was hoping you could come because the louder people cheer, the better you do in the competition."

"Oh," Braeden said with disappointment, "And I can be really loud." (He gets it from Adam.  He is a Dad Voice apprentice.)

Braeden brightened up, "We'll come the next round.  I'm sure you'll make it to the next round and we'll be there!"

With that happy thought they climbed out of the van and I watched them walk into the temple together, two tall curly headed kids.  Good kids.  They have a lot in common which I guess makes sense because their parents really like each other too.  I don't know when they got so grownup because in my mind they still look like this:


Or at least this:


Cousin friendship:  proof positive that good things in childhood, become great things later.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

What a nice post. I'm always in awe of your photo organization. To someone as hopelessly un-photo-organized as I, it seems miraculous!

Olivia Cobian said...

Why does this make me teary?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails