Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Some of the books I've read

I sort of lost interest in these book report blog posts and that coincided with me not having a lot of good books to read.

Well, I'm back.

I have read several books that I can't remember.  At all.  I've also started and abandoned several books.

Here are some of the more recent ones that I actually finished:



Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson**

I read Edenbrooke by the same author and I liked it more than this book.  The main character struck me as sort of pathetic.  I wanted to tell her several times to get some pride and a backbone.  Also, her mother was so villainous that she was more like a Disney stepmother character and less like a real person.  Finally, the end left me with questions as to how the author had made those leaps but that has been kind of a theme with books I've read lately.



Sea Change by Karen White*

I read (and endured) this book on the sole basis that I had completely enjoyed the other books I'd read by Karen White.  This book was mystifying.  Quite often characters in a book don't know what's going on, but the reader does.  This was not one of those books.  Up until the end I didn't know what was happening or why.  In a nutshell: a woman ended up being the reincarnated version of her husband's dead ancestor and the husband's first wife had been the reincarnated version of the dead ancestor's sister.

I know.



A Nearly Perfect Copy by Allison Amend *

The reviews I read of this book leave a more favorable impression of this book than I have.  It was compelling, but it was a disaster.  The whole thing.  It was full of unhappy characters who made bad choices and as I read I wondered how the author was going to possibly get them out of the problems they had created for themselves.  Spoiler alert: she didn't.  The characters with their bad and unethical decisions didn't end up in jail (which I guess was the good news) but they all ended up miserable.

The more I think about it, the less I liked this book.

So now, my new goal for reading is to read more books I actually enjoy.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails