Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

Whether he likes it or not

The other night, Adam told me that he thinks Father's Day is a silly tradition.  "It's just a tacked on holiday that is meaningless."  He said, "Dads don't need it."

I argued that it is good for their children.  It's good for them to stop and appreciate all their dads do.  I don't think it's silly and certainly not meaningless.  I said, "It's important for children.  Father's Day isn't always about you, Adam."

He said OK.

This whole conversation really sums up Adam though.  He deflects attention.  He doesn't particularly like getting gifts.  He really truly is an easy keeper.  He's the last one to dish up his plate at the table and if there's ever a line, he'll let all of us go before him.  He'll quickly change his plans to accommodate anyone.  He's the one our kids text late at night when they're out because they know I've gone to bed.  He works hard every day and freely gives everything he earns to his family.  He expects very little in return.  He wants kids who are kind and good and who consider all sides of arguments and he wants to spend time with them.

Besides that, he's fine.  He doesn't need to be acknowledged.

To which I say, too bad.  We're going to acknowledge him.

Adam is the stricter parent but he is also more fun.  He is smart (so smart) and wise and funny and reliable and unselfish and generous and everything that makes for a good dad and a good husband.

He is also fun to shop with.

 
I found this picture from awhile ago.  I think it was the first time we went to Fake Meyer (which is Smith's Marketplace here, we've named it Fake Meyer because it reminds us of Fred Meyer where we used to shop in Washington.)

Yesterday morning we got going early to make a pancake breakfast for Adam.  First I took this picture:



Then I told them to smile nicely.


Then I gave up.

The boys looked liked the America's Test Kitchen guy in their bow ties and aprons.



At church the primary kids sang to the dads and it was the first time in 15 years we have not had a kid up there singing.  Another first, they had all the men, 18 years and older stand up at the end and they gave them cookies.  Braeden was quite pleased with himself.

After church and lunch and short naps, Adam was put in charge of the activity.  He said he'd like to go for a drive but he didn't think the rest of us would be that interested.  (I'm historically not very interested in taking a drive because 1) where are we going? and 2) how will we know when we got there if we don't have a destination?  I'm truly a lot of fun.)

I told Adam that he needed to stop worrying about what anyone else wanted to do because it was Father's Day.  He said it was hard to go against his nature.

It's good for him every once in awhile though.

We drove to Cascade Springs in American Fork Canyon.  It was beautiful.


The air was warm and the water was cold and it reminded me of the hill behind my Grandma and Grandpa Dahl's house.



These two talked the entire time about a trip they're planning to Disneyland when Emma is 21 and Mark is 17.  Plan away children.  Write the plans in pencil...


Braeden was thoughtful and quiet and companionable.  I like that guy. (I have a pained expression in this picture but I wasn't in pain.  I'm just not photogenic.)


We drove over the mountain and went home through Midway and then back through Provo Canyon.



It was a lovely day.  I'm glad that Adam succumbed to us honoring him.  He's worth it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails