Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Oldies station plays songs from high school

I'm one of the oldest ones in my book club.  They talk about preschool and the kindergarten bus and how hard it is to go to Target with their children and I have teenagers that I would love to take to Target with me if they would only agree to go.

Like groups of women do, we talk about anything and everything. Usually simultaneously.

I realized that the younger the mothers are, the more concerned they are with their children making their beds.  One shiny faced young thing with preschoolers insists on beds made.  Another mother with children in elementary school said her kids only have a duvet cover so they can pull it up easily.  A mother with kids the same age asks every day if they've made their beds but they usually haven't.

My kids haven't made their beds in years.  I change the sheets once a week and then I make the beds but that's it.  I used to try to care but my current philosophy is, "If it doesn't bother you, don't bother."  And it doesn't bother me.  

The other night, after we'd discussed the book, the conversation turned to social media and hashtags and texting lingo.   The younger mothers were concerned about the slang they don't understand.  They were trying to make sure they understood what was going on in the latest social media.  It isn't so much that I'm too old to learn it all, I just don't care.  I guess age = apathy.  One thing that made me laugh a little though was that I knew all the slang and text shortcuts that left them confused and feeling out of touch.  Because I have teenagers.

The young mothers want to be up to date and aren't.  I don't care, but I know the lingo.

They never have asked me to dispense my wisdom but if they did, here's what I'd tell the young mothers.  Read to them more.  Worry less.  It goes by faster than you can imagine.  There will be plenty of time later for All the Stuff.  Just sit on the couch and snuggle.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I agree and appreciate your sage advice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails