Pages

Friday, January 6, 2017

Books I read in December 2016



You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott *

This book was intense.  It was well written but I guess I didn't love the subject matter.  It was about a group of people who had children involved in competitive gymnastics.  It mostly made me glad to have nonathletic children.  I didn't like the people or how they interacted.  Also, there was no satisfying resolution.



The Girl in the Green Raincoat ** by Laura Lippman

This book was about a woman who was in her third trimester and on bed rest.  She was a private investigator and apparently there is a whole series of books about her character.  If I'd read those books I'd probably have enjoyed this more.  There was very little time devoted to character development because maybe you are already supposed to know the characters.  She has nothing to do as she's on bed rest so she people watches out her window which overlooks a park.  She becomes concerned when a woman in a green raincoat stops showing up at her regular time to walk her dog and of course gets involved in solving the mystery.



The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker ***

I liked this book.  It was about a woman with a thyroid disorder that made her giant.  She lived in a small town and was treated with cruelty.  She ends up living in a horrible situation but ultimately triumphing over her circumstances.  The book had a great variety of characters.



Love in a Nutshell by Janet Evanovich ***

If I judged a book by its cover I never would have picked this one up.  I really dislike a cheesy book cover, but it was a pretty good book.  Just light and easy.  It's about a down on her luck woman moving to a small town to get a fresh start.



Southern Charmed  by Melanie Jacobson**

This book is about a young single LDS woman who feels social pressure to get married but also feels obligated to stay with her recently widowed mother.  I mostly liked this book but it also kind of bugged me.  She was way too attached to Baton Rouge.  I've never been there, it's probably a lovely place, but there are other places in the world too....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails