Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The pendulum


Yesterday, in a snowstorm, I was driving to go get Mark from school and sliding all over the road.  (The roads down by the school had been plowed and were just fine.  The roads by our house, not so much.)  My fingers and toes are perpetually cold.  I am tired of dodgy roads.  Enough with the snow and ice. I found myself longing for summer.

And that is when I realized the pendulum had swung.

Summers are hot.  (And last summer was awful in lots of awful ways.)  In the summer we have to weed the yard and I have to go to camp (!).  I can't wear sweaters and I love to wear sweaters.  In the summer I don't want to use the oven.  The sun beats down relentlessly on the deck and I can't go out there barefoot in the heat of the day because it would burn my feet.  Our house heats up even after the sun goes down because it's been baking all day.

In the summer, winter seems ideal.  I love hot soup and dressing in comfy layers.  I love leaving the blinds open all day and snow is pretty!  Six months from now, I'll be longing for winter.

Right now, I am remembering that summers are also filled with sunshine.  I love sunshine and blue skies.  I like cool mornings and watching brightly painted sunsets on the deck.  I love being barefoot.  I love playing silly games on the grass in the waning light.  I like striking out on adventures on long evenings.

Instead of longing for 6 months from now, I'm going to try to enjoy now.  I'm going to light a candle and sit by the fire and just relish the season.

The one we're in right now.


 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails