Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Don't believe the hype

Mothers (including me) lament their kids growing up.  It's sad.  It feels like the end of something wonderful.

Grown up children are pretty great though.  Maybe we have it all wrong and it really is a cause to rejoice when they get to be adults.

Tuesday night Adam was in Nashville and our guests had left and we were settling into a quieter routine.

After dinner we took a walk and talked about politics and social issues.  Everyone has their views and it causes a lively discussion.  They're smart kids though and I learn things from them.

We watched an episode of Arrested Development and then I went to my room to be alone.  Because sometimes that is my favorite.

Yesterday morning Mark reluctantly completed a first draft of an essay for his English class that I teach him.  You never met anyone so reluctant.

I asked Braeden to read his essay.

Braeden got a gleam in his eye and said, "Get me a pen."

He had Mark read the essay aloud and then he sat next to Mark on the couch and gave him notes.  He said, "I'm about to change your world, Bro.  I'm going to teach you some grammar."

Mark sat there looking reluctant, but he was a lot more compliant with his brother than he would be if it were me trying to change his world by teaching him grammar.

Later Braeden followed me upstairs.  He said, "I had no idea Mark could write that well."

And neither does Mark, but I still put him in Honors English next year.  Because I knew.

Last night it was time to pick Mark up and I was in the middle of preparing dinner.  Braeden went to get him while Emma set the table.

I had rescheduled Mark's voice lesson because of driver's ed and then forgot.  Mark's teacher texted, "Is Mark coming?"  I did something intelligent, like shriek, and run to check my calendar.   Emma jumped up and said, "I'll drive him."  Then she instructed Mark who was running around looking for socks and shoes.  "Go to Mom for a check."

Yes!  A check!  Mark and I would have been lost without her.  (I have checks for the sole purpose of voice lessons.)

Today and tomorrow I am going to Women's Conference at BYU.  (I am so excited!)  Since Adam is out of town it is wonderfully helpful that I have Wang Fire and Sapphire Fire here at the helm.  I am leaving them instructions for meal preparations and Mark transportation and the parent meeting for Driver's Ed.  They completely have it handled.

Someday maybe I'll be mournful when they are even more grown up and live far away.  For today, I love that our children are young adults.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails