Pages

Monday, May 21, 2018

When strep throat wins

Friday morning I felt just fine, top of the world.  Braeden and I took a nice walk and I felt enthusiastic about everything I was going to get done.

I had a slight sore throat but I was choosing to ignore it.

By lunchtime, the slight sore throat was a real sore throat.

So I took a bunch of Advil, like you do.

As the day progressed I felt worse and worse though.  The Advil wasn't helping.

Adam kept telling me to go to the doctor and just get it over with.  As mentioned before, I could be a strep throat doctor myself and I know enough to know that my symptoms wouldn't show up yet on a rapid strep test.  I also thought I had strep throat and maybe if I got antibiotics, I could stem the tide of everyone in the family getting it too.  Oh, and also FEEL BETTER.  Because I was feeling lousy.

I went to the doctor and it was the same one who had treated Adam the night before.  She asked me how he was doing.  "Is he taking Advil and Tylenol?"  I told her no.  I told her he is not a very good patient.

(Besides antibiotics, the man won't take medicine.  I have no idea.)

Sure enough, strep did not show up on the test but she figured I had it.  She said, "I'll give you a prescription and you can just hang onto it and then go fill it if you feel worse."

I thought that sounded like a fair idea.

Then she looked in my throat.

"Well, I'm going to go ahead and call the prescription in to the pharmacy," she said.  I guess my throat didn't look too promising.

So I felt pretty terrible all weekend.  Mostly just devoid of any energy.  For example, Braeden had brought a water bottle to my room in case I was thirsty.  I woke up several times in the middle of the night thirsty, but it was too much effort to get a drink, because the water was (5 feet away) on the dresser.  It was sort of comical and pathetic how little energy Adam and I had.  At one point my feet were cold and I wanted socks but couldn't muster the courage to go get some.  Then Adam got up and I asked him for socks.

He laughed at me and asked, "How long have you been thinking about socks."

"A while," I said.

He understood.

Saturday afternoon, Adam was feeling better enough to want to go for a drive.  He took the boys and told them he'd get them lunch.  He sent me this:


They brought me home a fortune cookie which is the only thing I want from a Chinese restaurant anyway.

This was the fortune:



I know what you're thinking, creale isn't a word.  Maybe creale means strep throat though.  Or maybe strep throat is the unconventional person.  Makes you think.

The boys really were exceptionally good to us all weekend.  They happily ran up and down the stairs to fetch us things and did dishes and mowed the lawn and said encouraging things to us.

Emma was with her friends at their ranch near Capitol Reef so she missed out on all the...fun.  She went to church in Boulder and then had lunch with Tabor and Katie and their girls after church so I don't think she missed out on anything.

Sunday, late afternoon, I was ready to get out of the house.  We drove to the Provo City Center temple.  We parked and were walking toward it.  I said, "Wow, I feel so great!  This is the best I've felt."

"Pace yourself," Adam said in a slightly foreboding tone.

After the half block we'd walked, sure enough, I was exhausted.  We sat on a park bench and enjoyed the flowers and plants.


A lot of the same things we have planted in our yard (except we don't have roses) are planted at the Provo City Center Temple.  Everything at the temple is lush and thriving and it's like they are trying to make us look bad.

But I forgive them because it's beautiful.


1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Maybe I'm the unconventional person coming to stay? I won't come to stay, but I'm excited to come to visit. Let the magic be crealed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails