Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The first day of summer

Here's an update on what feels like the first day of summer.  (It is even forecast to be 80 degrees today which definitely feels like summer.)

*
**

The last day of school is Thursday but Mark is done.  Today the ninth graders are going to Lagoon and he isn't. (They didn't make it last time because of an accident on the Frontrunner train.)  Thursday is the "movie" day in the auditorium that won't fit the entire student body by any stretch of the imagination so they don't expect anyone to go.

Public school always seems to end with a whimper.  At least in junior high and high school.

So Mark is done and I am still going to make him do some English and he's not super happy about it.

He told me he will try to be agreeable.  I would rather him say he will be agreeable, but I'll take try.

*
**

Emma is working a lot of hours and unlike yesterday, she remembered her ID badge today.  So that's good.  She attends a local YSA ward in the summer with a lot of her high school friends and a personalized invitation was left on our door last night for a ward campout. Emma is much like her mother.

Indoorsy.

She loves not camping.

I asked her if she was going and the answer was a solid no.

*
**

Braeden is home this week but next week begins his first session as an EFY counselor.  He's excited and I'm excited for him.  I know he will love it.

In the meantime, this week, he is spreading sunshine around wherever he goes and bolstering those that need bolstering (me, usually).  Yesterday morning he took Mark and Liliana and Ruben to the temple to do baptisms and it made me happy.  Cousin time is always happy time.  (Olivia was at the temple too and I was here with Marcos, Ammon and Omar.  I think I underwhelmed them with my ability--or lack of ability--to use our TV.)

Last night we went to Solo (we were supposed to go last Saturday but Mark was too sick so just Emma and Braeden went Saturday and everyone except Emma went last night).  We are going to leave in a few minutes for a walk and I know that the topic of conversation between the two boys will be Solo and I will be trying to keep up with their long strides.

(I miss walking with my friends in Washington.  We never talked about Star Wars movies and I could always keep up.)

*
**

I have a change on my horizon.  It looks like I'm going to be working next year as a teacher's aid.  It will give me points towards getting relicensed as a teacher.  And also I'm excited to be in a school which is one place I love to be.  I'm nervous because the last time I had a job was 1996.

My mom and sisters and Adam have been wonderful at giving me pep talks and understanding the whole exciting/anxiety-inducing-big-change dynamic.  I've loved being a full time mom.  It's who I am.

But now this.  And I'm excited.  And nervous.

*
**

Adam has another business trip to Las Vegas this week and it's my turn to join him.  Las Vegas does not make my list of places I'd like to go, but Adam tops my list of people I'd like to go anywhere with so I'm looking forward to going.

Driving down the open road with Adam delights me.

So does summer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails