Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Just a plain day

All of the sudden summer feels fleeting and Mark isn't even out of school yet.

Emma is starting training for a new job today and Braeden leaves tomorrow for EFY counselor training.

I'll see less of both of them.

These have been busy days and sometimes complain-y days (by me, because of the busyness), but they've also been good days.

Last night I was thinking about the day and how really unremarkable it was but that I'd like to capture it and remember it.

Here are some things that happened yesterday:

We finally, mostly, got the basement squared away.  It was sort of a banner day in that respect.  We no longer have a toy room (except Legos in the bunk room) so there was a lot of deciding with the toys.  Luckily Mark is my least sentimental child which makes cleaning with him the easiest.

*
**

I remembered how difficult it is to put fitted sheets on the top bunk mattress.  Add to that that the ladder was in the basement and there were Lego creations all over the floor because the boys had been creative Sunday afternoon.



A smarter person would have moved the legos or retrieved the ladder, but I thought, I can do this!

I climbed up and used the window sill to boost myself up at the top of the bed.  Then I moved to the bottom and on my way down, I stood on that white piece of furniture pictured above which is flimsy and wobbled precariously.

"I almost died!" I told Emma.

She looked up slowly from the book she was reading and said, "I'm glad you're still with us."

*
**

I gave each kid their pile of laundry to put away and threatened them with torture if they just set them down in their rooms rather than put the clothes away.

One of the kids, I can't remember which one, said, "Oh yeah, name five songs they did."

What does that even mean?  Just my weird kids with their weird taunts.

*
**

I was playing the piano and thought of two things to tell Emma.  I finished the song and told her the first thing, and then I forgot what the second one was.  Emma instructed me to go back to the piano.  I played the second half of the song and remembered the second thing!  (And it had nothing to do with the song or the piano or anything.)

*
**

Braeden didn't go anywhere yesterday so his extroverted self was antsy and glum.  Emma and I discussed that that is how we feel on days we have to go somewhere.

*
**

We had egg salad sandwiches for dinner.  I boiled 11 eggs because that was what we had and I figured it would be too much but everyone loves leftovers.  Between that and the entire loaf of bread, it wasn't enough.  I forget how much these boys eat.  (Soon that will be the Cannon Center's problem though while Braeden is at EFY.)

*
**

A shipment from Ulta arrived for Emma while she was gone so she took the opportunity to try her new makeup out yesterday.  She showed me the results and said, "I know it's a lot, but I wanted to try out ALL of the makeup."

All of the makeup--pretty much sums up Emma.

*
**

Braeden taught us a family home evening lesson with the same sweetness and earnestness that he asked me earlier in the day to help him with family history.  It's such a good feeling even though there's nothing I did to deserve a kid who just really wants to be good and do good.

*
**

We saved watching the next episode of Little Women until our own little woman, Emma, was home so we watched it last night.  Watching it with Mark is an experience.  Adam said it was like Mystery Science 3000 except Masterpiece Science 3000.  For example, when Jo rebuffed Laurie, Mark said like he was talking over a radio, "Mission failed, we'll get 'em next time."

*
**

Adam took Braeden on a W.A.D. (Winco After Dark) adventure to give him an opportunity to get out of the house.  Adam loves W.A.D. and now you know why we have weird kids.








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails