Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Summer reading

For Family Home Evening we talked about health goals for the summer.  Physical health, spiritual health, etc.

I said, "What about...intellectual health?"  (Still don't know if that's a thing but I had an agenda as you will see.)

I looked at Mark meaningfully and said, "This is like when my mom sends all her children emails about the dangers and woes of Diet Coke and she really means them just for me."

Mark coolly ignored me.

I continued, "I want us to read this summer."

Emma got excited and said, "I'll make sticker charts!"

Braeden said, "I think literary pursuits are their own reward."

Mark said, "If we read can we go to Top Golf at the end of the summer?"

So there you have it.  We suddenly had a summer reading program.

Emma's creativity can't be contained with just a sticker chart so she created a bookworm for each of us, complete with a name and a personality.  And she used the default fonts each of us use on our own computers.  She's just her own kind of awesome.


She has a stash of stickers for us to use.  She's not particularly interested in going to Top Golf but she's in the 2/3 of the children who will read anyway.  Worm Patrick is the one that we need buy in from.

The idea was a sticker for every book you read but Braeden is reading unabridged Les Miserables so we amended it.  If you read 250 pages, you get a sticker.

Do other mothers with children this age have reading sticker charts?

I don't know.

Maybe they should.  (I'm totally going to win.)

1 comment:

Robert Johnson said...

Are there no female worms? This is Marianne btw.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails