Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2018

The Mudge

Mark, a man of many nicknames, has acquired a new one.  The Mudge, as in curmudgeonly.

Because he is.

There is a ninth grade Lagoon day.  It's a local, sort of lame, amusement park.  I used to go sometimes when I was growing up but we went to Lagoon the first full summer that we lived here and it was not worth it.  I didn't leave anything there and so I'm never going back.

Mark is 15 though and all his friends are going.  I thought he would want to go.

"I'd rather stay home," he said.  Reminding me for the millionth time of his namesake.

For Driver's Ed, he carries a small pillow to sit on.  They have to sit in these hard chairs for 3 hours straight and one of his friends, who has taken Driver's Ed before, recommended he bring a pillow to sit on and he does.

I asked him yesterday if anyone else brings a pillow.

"No," he said. "Just me."

"Because you're The Mudge?"

"Yep."

Speaking of Driver's Ed, he sends dire texts sometimes during it:



He also had Driver's Ed homework last night.  He had to locate all the things in Loki (the car he will eventually, probably, be driving).  He was figuring out the lights, etc. and then he needed to check the oil.

"How do I do that?" he asked.

"I don't know," I said.

"Really?"

We popped the hood and he tsked at me because I didn't immediately see where the little thing to hold up the hood was located.  He quickly surmised how to check the oil.

He asked, "Is this a straight four?"

I told him he was adorable to think I would have any clue about that.

He asked, "Where is the coolant?"

"I don't know, on the left?"

"That's wiper fluid."  He shook his head at me and gave me a look that is EXACTLY like the look my dad would give me in a similar situation.

I left him to it.  Because I was obviously a lot of help.

Curmudgeonly or not, I like being with Mark.  He and I are the only ones home because Braeden and Emma joined Adam on a business trip.  I was expecting to get a lot accomplished in everyone's absence and that has not happened, but spending the evenings with Mark is a consolation for my unproductive days spent at Costco dealing with the tire situation (at least yesterday I took a book with me).

Mark and I have sat on the deck and eaten the leftover brownies from a dinner party we went to on Monday.  We've snuggled and watched an episode of Corner Gas, we've discussed changing his room to the basement.  When he isn't silently judging me for not knowing about cars, he is the most laid back and pleasant person to be around.

One time Emma said that sometimes when she's upset, all she needs is Mark.  She said, "I tell him what is wrong and he just quietly listens and then he changes the subject and that is exactly what I need."

I'm glad that curmudgeon is in my life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails