Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

A book and a holiday

I only finished one book in October.  What a sad state of affairs!  I abandoned a few and I'm currently reading a really long book that will assuredly end in library fees (but I am enjoying the book).

I finished The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg **


It was OK.  It was about grown siblings and one of the sisters came out with some secrets about her childhood.  It was kind of melodramatic and had a lot of inner turmoil in the older sister's head (the narrator) that just got annoying.  She wanted to just stay home and quilt instead of engage with her family (who was in distress).

The whole thing was meh.

**
*

Now, for the holiday.  Happy Nevada Day!  Oh yeah, and Halloween.  Whatever.

A few days ago, Braeden told me that I gave him street cred with the professor he TAs for.  Dr. Christensen is from Nevada (now he has street cred from me).  He asked Braeden if he could play the piano.  He asked if he would play the Nevada State Song in class today.  Braeden said, "Oh, yeah.  Because it's Nevada Day."  Dr. Christensen asked him how he knew that and Braeden explained about his mom.  Then he said he knew the song and Dr. Christensen had him sing it for him.

I told Braeden I'd never been more proud of him.  He said, "Never?!?"

There are of course lots of things I failed to properly teach my children but they know the Nevada state song and can all set a table properly.

It's really a question of priorities.

Yesterday Braeden got this and texted it to me:


I said maybe Emma should go too.  She could take as many Nevadan Women's Chorus members as she could find.

She said no.

Well, I tried.

**
*

Last night we went to Provo to carve pumpkins with our two big kids.  Braeden said they keep evil spirits away and he didn't want to tempt fate.  I was the party pooper, because I was super tired and wanted to go home.  Mark brought home the pumpkin he and Braeden were sharing to finish later.  Emma finished hers and sent this picture:



It's cute.

I'm dressing up because it is sort of required in an elementary school.  I'm going as a referee.  It feels appropriate, especially for recess duty.  Also, I just had to shift a few feet down the closet and get one of Adam's shirts to wear.

Have a happy day!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails