Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The curve of the question mark

Years ago (I don't think Mark was even born yet), I was at a store and asked someone for help.  She didn't know the answer to my question and went to ask someone else.  I overheard her asking the question and saying, "It's for that woman over there with dark hair and glasses."

I realized she meant me.

I had dirty blonde hair as a kid and it shocked me to realize that I would be described as having dark hair.  Also, I mostly wore contacts and just happened to be wearing my glasses that day.

I felt like I didn't recognize myself.  Dark hair and glasses?

I think I've been feeling the same way lately.  Sometimes when I'm wearing my "professional" clothes and going to work and all that, I wonder who is this anyway? 

There are so many small and big changes around here lately and so many sort of remarkable things in the works that I feel a little at loose ends.

(Maybe this is why I can't sleep.)

I recently heard this:

"Don't fear the curve of the question mark."

It gave me pause.

Because sometimes I feel like my life is a question mark.  There are more changes on the horizon.  I am working toward being a full-time teacher.  My children won't always live within 30 minutes of me.  (Except if they want to, I won't complain.)

I guess what it comes down to is that I'm basically a toddler and need my routine in order to feel right side up.  Becoming a mother knocked me sideways.  Every time I've moved (especially drastic moves, like the one to Connecticut), I've felt broadsided.  Braeden leaving on a mission felt sort of the like the end of days.  I adjusted to it all.  I'll adjust to this.

Life moves and stretches and feels unrecognizable at times.

I just need to not fear the curve of the question mark.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails