Pages

Monday, October 15, 2018

Spectacular!

Friday night Adam and I went to the BYU Spectacular!  Excitement about going built throughout the week with Emma texting us where she was going to be standing so we could find her more easily.  They performed both Thursday and Friday night.  Thursday night, I got this from Stephanie:



Only made me more excited.

It was in conjunction with Homecoming week and I loved the big sign on campus which read, "Welcome Home!"

Because BYU does feel a little like home.

(Except for parts they've changed, but it's fine.  I'm adjusting.)

BYU Women's Chorus, or Wo Cho as Emma has started calling it, was performing.  Colbie Caillat, David Archuleta, the Cougarettes, Living Legends, Synthesis, Syncopation, Vocal Point and Young Ambassadors all performed too.

(I was mostly there for Women's Chorus.)

But also, I love Colbie Caillat.  And David Archuleta brought the house down with his version of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me."  Just wow.

We were at the tippy top of the Marriott Center but we were able to keep track of where Emma was and we were also able to take a whole bunch of not great pictures. (Kind of the way I blog--not great pictures.  Oh?  You noticed?)

This is the opener:  "Brighter Than the Sun."  I've conveniently circled Emma.


This is Colbie Caillat and Women's Chorus singing "Try."  Emma's there on the second row (you'll just have to trust me).


Here's a shot Adam captured of her on the big screen:


We just had to take what we could get....

Emma's not in this picture but it was lovely when the Marriott Center was lit up with cell phones while David Archuleta sang "Shine a Light."


Women's Chorus sang "This is Me" from The Greatest Showman.  They sang it at their concert too and it makes me get a little choked up.  Listening to my glorious girl and about 170 other girls powerfully sing:

When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me

It just gets me.

They were supposed to wear something that reflected their personality.  She was going to wear jeans and her The World Awaits t-shirt because the girl wants to travel, but mentioned to her friend (who happens to be VP of Wo Cho) that she may wear her Winnie the Pooh costume.  Emma, the vice president, told Emma, the daughter, DO IT!

So she did.

(Side note:  When Adam and I were at BYU, every other girl was named Jen.  Now the place is full of Emmas.  I kind of like it since I like the name!)

The best part of Winnie the Pooh is that Emma was super easy to spot.  She's right there in the middle.


This is on the big screen:



Emma said backstage people would come up to her and want a hug from Winnie the Pooh.  (And I don't blame them because Emma gives great hugs.)

This is the finale with EVERYBODY.  They were singing "Walking on Sunshine".


I loved every minute of it.

After, Emma was radiant and elated.  We went to a very late dinner and enjoyed hearing all about her adventure.

I'm so grateful for good experiences for our children.

(And I'm grateful when I get to watch.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes me cry! I love it!

Olivia Cobian said...

I love that she wore her Winnie-the-Pooh costume. That girl has more class than a high school!

Janeal said...

My husband and I were also at the BYU spectacular on Friday night! It was outstanding in every way! Congrats to your beautiful, talented daughter!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails