Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Motherhood

President Nelson talked about mothers when he addressed the women of the church last Saturday night.  I loved when he said:  Through the years, whenever I have been asked why I chose to become a medical doctor, my answer has always been the same: “Because I could not choose to be a mother.”

I'm grateful I get to be a mother.

I can't imagine the hole in my life without Braeden and Emma and Mark.   They make life happy and scary and vivid and colorful and entertaining.  How I love those kids!  I think part of the jarring part of me starting to work outside our home is that my plan has always been to be a mother.  It's just what I wanted to do.

A few days ago I was listening to Emily P. Freeman's podcast (which I love).  She talked about the value of mothers--not just mothers who physically give birth, but how the world needs the nurturing love of mothers everywhere.

Yesterday at recess, I wrapped my arms around three different sobbing children.  (It was an intense recess!) Throughout the day I tied lot of shoelaces and I pushed kindergartners on swings.  I talked a child down from a tantrum and kept a child from ripping up his paper.  I untangled two sort of impressive knots.  I cajoled and reminded and steeled my patience so I could keep my voice even when a certain darling would not stay in her chair.

Sometimes working in a school is an awful lot like being a mother.

President Nelson said, "Every woman is a mother by virtue of her eternal divine destiny."

Whether I'm amongst the children I gave birth to or anywhere in the world, motherhood is the role I was destined to play.  (Just ask President Nelson.)







4 comments:

Jen Dahl said...

I loved this.

Anonymous said...

This is so good!

Janeal said...

Beautifully expressed. This is exactly why I love being a school teacher!

Olivia Cobian said...

Great post. This makes me cry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails