Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Books I read in September 2018

I have a reading problem and it's two pronged.  1) I don't have enough time to read and 2) I keep investing precious time into books that I decide are meh and I stop reading them but I should have stopped earlier.

Sigh.

Here's what I read and actually finished:




The Turner House  by Angela Flourney **

I liked this book OK.  I think it's good to read about people that have vastly different experiences than your own every once in awhile.  It widens your worldview.  This book was about an African American family in Detroit.  One of my main impressions was:  Can everything be white peoples' fault?  Because sometimes it seemed like the family thought yes, everything is white peoples' fault.



Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk ****

This one was for book club + a Newbery honor book + I really liked it.  It reminded me of To Kill A Mockingbird.  It was about a girl who was bullied by a genuinely awful girl at her small country school.  As this escalated, a neighborhood "weird guy" (the Boo Radley of the story) was blamed.  I loved the humanity of it and the kind good parents and I guess everything about the book.  I recommend.

**
*

Since I didn't have many books to share, here are a few of the things that were making me laugh out loud yesterday.

First this:



Followed by this:

All I'm saying is, whatever we're paying for their cell phones every month is worth it to me.  They make me laugh.  (Out loud.  When I'm all alone.  It's fine.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails