Pages

Monday, August 6, 2018

Books I read in July 2018



Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern ***

I think I read this in May and just remembered.  I liked it.  It was about a magical circus that was the backdrop for a competition between two hapless magicians who were being pawns in two other, sort of wicked, magicians game.  That's a terrible description, like most of my book posts are.  I mostly just want to remember what I've read....



Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen ****

It is clear that I'm not going to get all the Jane Austen books read this summer.  I keep getting distracted by other books and other things.  Still.  I love Sense and Sensibility.  I love them all.  I realized I've seen the movies more than I've read the book and there are subtle differences, which I enjoyed.



Dinner at Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler ***

Ever since I picked an Anne Tyler book for book club and everyone hated it, I realize Anne Tyler is an acquired taste.  Her books are full of quirky characters and are generally sort of depressing but I still like them.  This book is about a family where the father leaves and the mother tries her best but isn't the easiest person to live with.  The kids are mostly sympathetic except one brother.  He was just mean.



Death of a Maid by M.C. Beaton **

This book was OK.  It is one of a series (and not the first in the series) so maybe I would like it more if I read the entire series and understood the overall story arc.  It's about a bright but unambitious police constable who lives in Scotland, in a little place where there are apparently a lot of murders (hence the series).




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails