Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Today

My favorite thing to do while I'm cleaning is listen to podcasts.  Wiping off counters and sweeping floors is sort of meditative anyway so listening to wise words just enhances the experience.

I love Emily P. Freeman's podcast The Next Right Thing.  It's wise and her kind, soft spoken voice soothes my soul.

Yesterday I was listening and these words shook me a little:
Maybe, you are having a hard time being here now because you’re concerned about what is coming next?
Take a moment to whisper the day of the week, the month of the year. Be here, in this moment, just as you are. 
And don’t discount yourself.

I am a planner.  At its best that means that I'm ready for Christmas early so December is a pleasant relaxing time.  At its worst that means sometimes I can't sleep at night because my mind is whirling with all of the what's-coming-next.

Taking a moment to whisper the day of the week and the month of the year is sort of genius.  Today is the day.  This is the only day like it.  I don't want to squander today by spinning my wheels about eventualities.

If you see me and I'm muttering under my breath, don't mind me.  I'm probably just whispering the day of the week, the month of the year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails