Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen

We had a nice slow weekend.  We did a few errands, we cleaned the house a little, and I made clothespin dolls of the five Bennett sisters:

Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty and Lydia
They delighted me even though they turned out wonky.  There are two types of people in the world:  people that should use glue guns and people like me.

We also went to A Christmas Carol at the Hale Theater.  Emma is planning an internship in France next fall and it occurred to me that we won't get free tickets to the Hale Theater!  Perish the thought!

It would be worth paying for though.

That theater!  Their version of A Christmas Carol is my favorite (and that's even considering the Muppets version which is a very close second).  I cry like a crazy person during it because Christmas  and all that it means hits me like The Polar Express (I was going to say freight train but decided to keep it seasonal).  The Hale Theater's production adds a subtle layer that speaks volumes to me about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how it is because of Him that we can change and do better and be better.  I just love it.

They add songs into the production and near the end, Ebenezer sings, "God rest ye merry, gentlemen..."

Adam said later, "Did you notice he paused for the comma?"

Adam notices punctuation and until he pointed it out, I always thought the song was about merry gentlemen.  Instead it's about God resting us merry.

I don't know.  I just love that.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I love that too! Glad you pointed it out! We loved seeing "A Christmas Carol" at the Sandy Hale Theatre. Is it similar to the Orem Hale Theatre one?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails