Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

The sky is falling!

The latest from Henny Penny....

Yesterday we started a weather unit in science so I took the opportunity to show them a news clip of Hurricane Hilary.  Real time weather happening!

I explained a few things.  1) Hurricanes weaken when they are on land because they get their power from warm water. 2) Here is where the hurricane/tropical storm/rain are heading and here is where we are.

In other words, we're fine.

I showed them on a map how we were on the edge of the storm and I pointed out that it was indeed a cloudy day.

About an hour later it was drizzling for about 5 minutes.

Some of them freaked out.  "A hurricane!  It is heading this waaaaaay!"

I reiterated that we were fine.

***

Mark moved out yesterday.  I felt low key sick all day.  I worried about all the things.  I had a little pity party about diabetes + celiac disease.  Everything is harder/ more expensive/ more complicated for him and that is not fair.

It isn't.

And I'll miss him.  When a child leaves a bedroom, they also leave a hollowed out space in my heart.  I hate it.

I feel a little like Henny Penny myself.  I need someone to pat me on the head and tell me that we are actually fine and the hurricane is not heading this way.

4 comments:

Geri said...

Heads up Mother Hen. Mark is closer to you at school than at home so not far. He's also grown stronger in lots of ways since he first tried this phase of his life besides he has a good foundation and knows he is loved.

Marianne said...

This is me patting you on the head (and giving you a big hug!) from afar.

Mark Dahl said...

Even though we often feel like the sky is falling, and sometimes it is--you are a strong woman and you can hold it up around you and your family. Love you.

Olivia Cobian said...

Hang in there! You're such a great mom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails